Registering a used moped in Ohio

John Eicher /

Stupid question but my google foo and search is failing me today...

I'm preparing to trade for an older, used moped that's on the Ohio approved list. IIRC, a bill of sale is all that is needed in Ohio. Is that correct? Also, do I need to get a title for it or just register it? Does the bill of sale have to be notarized?

My local BMV is usually incorrect about many things so I usually don't have much confidence in their information.

Basically, I need a simple "Dummies" thumbnail version to registering mopeds in Ohio.

(I've read about it hundreds of times in the past on the web but can't find it right now so please be gentle.)

Re: Registering a used moped in Ohio

fallout Survivor /

Try calling the BMV.

u should be good to go. no titles in ohio

John Eicher /

The department that handles that in Columbus is closed on Saturday. I spoke to a different department earlier to make sure I was calling the correct one.

John Eicher /

So I don't even have to go to the title office? Just trot on over to the license plate line and present the bill of sale? Also, does it have to be notarized?

no doesent need notarized and yes just take bill of sale to bmv and pay them and get plate

John Eicher /

Cool.

Thanks for the information everyone.

Overpriced Parts /

Oh it's got to be on the ohio approved moped list, 50cc or less and 1hp. If it says 2 hp on the bike don't tell them that. You can sign the the paper for the plates even though you don't need insurance. They use the same paper for all motorcycles/ bikes. It just states that you are following the insurance laws.

John Eicher /

Yep, it's on the list and I'm familiar with the ORC 3937.18 (A) exemption from insurance for motorized bicycles.

Thanks for the heads up.

Now if I can just get other people in my area to ride... *sigh*...

John Eicher /

Oops, I should've typed 4509.01 (I). It's mentioned in 3937 as well but wanted to clarify in case someone else read this thread later on.

Anyway, I'm going to see the ped today. Hopefully it won't be a dog.

they told me that they were going to have the insurance thing removed from moped registration papers. i doubt that they will but who knows.

John Eicher /

Thanks for the link.

Well, I traded for the moped a little while ago. It's going to take a small amount of work but I think it'll be a fun little Puch. I finally get to put a moped photo in my profile.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account