moped parts as carry-on item on flights?

any one do this?

i had my 5 stars shipped to my buddy in Wisco for powdercoating, tubing, and tiring, and i would like to bring them back with me on my return flight from MKE to MSY

preferably in the overhead compartment.

just wondering if anyone else has attempted this. if i have to, i will pack them up and check them, but i'd like to avoid extra fees as much as possible...

i was trying to guess if the dimensions would be allowable by Air Tran's guidelines but i don't know if they would measure by circumference, or if they are boxed up...

"combined linear inches" with tires via circumference would exceed their limit of 55", but boxed i might be able to get away with it. 17" rims with 2.25" gazelles and throw the axles in the box...

Re: moped parts as carry-on item on flights?

Perfekt Timing Angel /

You would most likely have to check them although I would call the airline about that. It's reasonable to think you could carry them on (heck, I'd be in your same mindset), but the airline might be a little less willing to accommodate you.

Good Luck!

i think youll be okay. ive taken guitars on flight with me as a carry on. you might have to store them though, sometimes you dont have to check it but they take it to a separate section of the plane.

point being, wrap em up and put em in a box no matter what

Just do not pack them in a box with nail clippers or with a plastic bottle with 8 oz of fluid,,,

Chris Driscoll /

There's certain dimensions that carry on bags have to follow in order to be considered carry on. You will most likely have to check them. But it doesn't hurt to try! If you get them past security and they don't end up fitting in the overhead bin, and they make you check them, you will avoid the fees!

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

SOUTHWEST BAGS FLY FREE

Gunther Mcgillicuty /

you'll need to check them. they are too big for carry on. You could have them check them at the gate and then you get it back when you get back off the flight. I transported basically my whole Magnum from the states to Mexico as luggage.

Puch Magnum project 021.JPG

i got away with my bass in it's gig bag once, and 2 40" longboards with trucks and junk still on em, but bubble wrapped together on another occasion. Both were southwest, i think. So maaaaaybe you can do it.

I'd be prepared to check them if i were you, though.

oh air tran is claiming that assembled wheels are "freight" now and so not suitable as claiming as baggage.

fuck that. they'll fit in my gd suitcase. along with some Blatz, a cordless impact driver, and some other goodies. what diff does it make if its getting checked, if they are assembled wheels?

put em in a bag man

Zeke Rigg /

i have carried on a machete, not in America. but they never check the size of my carry on when ever i fly. just make sure you can shove them some where not in the way of others and it's all good.

when i was in PDX a few years ago, UHB joe kicked my down an old dell'orto carb for a tomos A3. the security guard asked me what it was. i told him it was "an old dell'orto carb for a tomos A3 moped". to this, he said, "cool", and let me on. it still smelled like old gas.

Gunther Mcgillicuty /

Miss Tammiecat~ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> oh air tran is claiming that assembled wheels are

> "freight" now and so not suitable as claiming as

> baggage.

>

> fuck that. they'll fit in my gd suitcase. along

> with some Blatz, a cordless impact driver, and

> some other goodies. what diff does it make if its

> getting checked, if they are assembled wheels?

take the tires off?

Lil MotoGuzzi Vert /

5 stars are too big for carry on.

Sew some fabric around them, attach them together and hook on a strap. Then you can tell them its your purse.

Unfortunately it's not the airlines that's the problem. It's the fucking TSA & (UN) Patriot Act BS that's the problem. Any excuse to hassle you. I'd just try have it go on as baggage & hope for the best. Pack it well. I worked with the airlines for about 10 years & got out before 911 & TSA. Good luck.

you are going to have to put them in a suicase that fits the size regulations for checked bags if its in a suit case its a checked bag if its not its freight

im also willing to bet that the person on the phone wasnt thinking moped wheels but something like a car wheel

if you have a suit bag try fitting them in that as carry on but again secruity might be the issue

yeah, i e-mailed the air line but they never got back to me as far as why "assembled tires" are freight. i explained that they weren't steel belted radials for an automotive, and gave their approximate dimensions with tires.

I think their customer service people are just lazy, but with that said, they probably don't get paid all that well either.

I'll have to ask my buddy how much it will cost to ship the wheels and see if it is cost effective compared to checking baggage.

Chip _ (chip515) — Nov 19, 2011 01:18PM

Sew some fabric around them, attach them together and hook on a strap. Then you can tell them its your purse.

I would totes do that chip, i've seen some chix with bags big enough to tote around assembled wheels as their "personal item" let alone a carry- on or checked bag. My original thought was to zip tie and wrap up the wheels with cardboard and tape and try to get them on the plane, but i will probably just end up packing them in my suitcase

personally if you can take a dog on board and stash it in the overhead, you should be able to take on some friggin wheels. but whatevs. if they want to be douchey about it i will just check.

Ship em greyhound

Peter Murray /

I fly often with different airlines. IMHO you will not be able to carry on the stuff you wish to. My recommendation would be to put it all in a big bag and check it in. Also fly with an airline such as SWest which will allow you to check in baggage for free. Check first for weight restrictions, if any, for checked baggage.

Most air lines are getty really pissy about what they will allow you to carry on because people are tryin to get around the check in and are tryin to carry on bags that are just too big for the overheads.

I, personally, get very pissed when I see people tryin to jam their oversize stuff into the overhead bins. Fly SW and check it in.

I have checked in some weird stuff and have not had a problem. Most airlines are concerned with weight and hazardous substances. You may have to disassemble the wheels. I'd leave them assembled and not inflated.

B. P. Gretenhart /

"check them at the gate" is the term you want to use. that means when you board you give it to the flight attendant and when you disembark you will wait around at the gate for a quick minute and then they will get your shit out.

when i brought my guitar to florida they just let me put it in the coat closet in front. that was nice cause i grabbed it as i walked off.

Gunther Mcgillicuty /

Most airlines catch you with the big bag/box before you even get on the plane and they will force you to check it at the gate before you get on the aircraft. You will get it back right after you land. If you have connections then you will need to repeat the process. Thats how people bring huge car seats and awkward size strollers with them on trips. Check it at the gate.

But make sure it fits into the overhead if you do scoot by the gate without them having you check it there. You will look like a huge ass if you are fighting with the box on the airplane and it doesn't fit. People will hate you and if you make them late because you didnt check the oversized box. I travel over 250 days a year on Continental. I've been Platinum status before most of you were into mopeds.

Check that shit and forget about it.

I have brought so many moped parts on planes, Ive carried 5 stars on as a carry on multiple times... Put em in a bag, like a a reusable grocery bag. Take out the axels and you'll have no pproblem. Done it like 4 times on airtran infect. Also had cylinders and electrics in my carry on and a carb. Don't make a big deal about it at security and you'll be fine. The one time I asked security if I was allowed to have this stuff they gave me a hard time and took my carb.

well, the thing is i want to bring the wheels WITH the tubes and gazelles mounted (deflated but mounted)

not even sure that is going to be happening since the back ordered tires may not get to the shop until Monday, and i leave tuesday.

if it was just rims i wouldn't have a second thought as far as carry on, but with tires it increases their dimensions which might not allow them to fit in the overhead.

oh well, i will figure something out. if they are complete i will try to first carry on and then if not successful i will check them. i'll let you know what Air Tranny has to say...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account