Safari find - disapointed...

...but some excitement as well. It's kinda like 'OH GREAT', and 'DARNIT NOW WHAT' all at the same time.

Safari1116111433.jpg

Re: Safari find - disapointed...

probably just needs a good carb cleaning

Gunther Mcgillicuty /

nice build. Clean up them cables.

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

"ran when i parked it"

I've had much worse start after a carb cleaning. Half ass ones at that.

I wonder if there is a sonic dip tank for the whole motor or even the entire bike!? You name it, it's seized on this one.

p4? what engine is on there?

It looks like a P4 but it's variated. It's called a Variomatic DeLux.

no groms no blasters /

John Warren IhazJawas /

i used to run a crane in a scrap yard and i seen better get junked i tried to pull one out of the pile once figured id fix it up unfortunately i didn't know a thing back then went back in the pile

hey rob you want to sell it? its not as nice as this but I have 2 here plus the 4speed version. the 4 speed is rough

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

"original condition", "looks good for its age" I like what you did with the seat.

You dont need to start your own thread,

We have a Rat Ped picture thread already.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,2713425

I'm not so sure about selling this one yet. I plan on using some parts from it to make my 1st Variomatic Delux better and complete the resto on my own 4-speed Commando. I'd like to see a photo of yours for seat comparision. There seems to be some comflicting reports of these w/o the high tank and headlight fairing as well.

they came with 2 seat types. I have a nos seat like on mine

I don't know if this will help because it's hard to see the seat, but here's a pic of a 4 speed one I saw recently.

2011-10-13 12.39.19 (2).jpg

Its a good find as there is not many of them over here in the states.

Reynold Cortigine /

I love the fact that safari even made that bike and somehow sold them. I wonder how many were sold with the p4 I know they are rare as hell

Jaime thanks for the photo. The seat on that one looks like a regular first generation setup and the side rails are gold. I'd be curious about the year of that one. Who owns it?

A Safari w/ 4-speed is indeed rare as hen's teeth, but imagine if you could find the same setup from Testi/Gitane or even the never seen Negrini Harvard Super Deluxe?

Ed, that one in the move is a 5-speed!?

Rob, the one in my pic is at a local mower shop. The same people have owned it since at least 1984. They were being condescending dicks, so I stopped talking to them and don't really know much about it, sorry.

I only wish I was close e nough to go check it out. To bad they are disrespectful.

they came in p6= 6 speed and 4 spped.. p6/4r. The variomatic deluxy can run just the same as in the vid. Well it would be on the line of a scooter.

freddie might now also.

rob, if you remmeber next time you look at that beast. please check the number. should have a #/100 on the area under the carb on the chain drive side. (edited)

One of the old boys from nj johnny give me this along with some gaskets a while back. Have you seen this rob? The book is neat has tons of info and part numbers for the motori minarellis but the c3 wasn't made in italy. I am being told. I have did alot of research on the c3. I did find some transmission parts for them. Better clutch pads and a strong contra. Never could get it to fire off. That was a big let down. Like heart broken. Awesome engines, should hit 15k with a stock ported cylinder and good hand made pipe. (edited)

Picture 015 (Medium).jpg
Picture 011 (Medium).jpg

yea those safari fairings are sexxxxxxy. so is a variomatic deluxe. boner fest.

"the more you know about mopeds, the more you'll want a safari"

well, they were right, i didn't know there were any 5 speed manual ones, now i do and i want it.

also stever, thanks for keeping it real on the safari shots.

Here is other safari bikes that him and his father imported back in the day.

Picture 016 (Large).jpg

I wish you were close enough too, so you could go school them, lol! When I saw it I said "oh, that looks like a Minerelli engine." They said something like "no, Safari made all their own engines." I should add, good luck with your project!

They don't know there ass from a hole in the ground. Let keep it. There more out here somewhere just have to locate them. :(

Ed, I will get you some numbers the next time I can. I think both Variomatic Deluxes are 84's. I have a regular Variomatic that I think it an 82 or 83. I don't know what my Commando is because the tag is missing. I will check the number on all the engines.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account