Anyone running a bicycle speedometer?

The front wheel I am running doesn't have a speedo drive so I am thinking my best bet would be one of those universal bicycle speedometer/computer things.

I have a GPS for world record speed trials and such but if I were to ride with it on my moped everyday it would inevitably get smashed or stolen and I don't have the loot to spare on a new one.

Is anyone using one of these on their moped? I just bought one of these

because it was cheap and solar powered.

Generally speaking how accurate are these things? I know you have to set up the magnet and sensor and whatever so assuming I set it up proper how close to actual speed do you get?

I guess for me its more important to have relative speeds for tuning and knowing whats an improvement and whats not.

So anyone using bicycle speedos? How do you like them?

Re: Anyone running a bicycle speedometer?

- Summerai - Corey Livieri /

Tried running a cheapy one on my lady's bike a few years ago and didn't work so well. But I've heard some work pretty well, so it may be a case to case basis.

I have been running one for a wile now and tested it with some GPS, seems to be with in one mph... good enough for me. It is also nice to track your distance to calculate how much fuel you have used.

I have this one and it is still running great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BCG9EK/

Also, The computer will not give you the code for moped sized wheels... but most are just the over all circumference of the tire in MM.

Reynold Cortigine /

I had one for a few years it worked great until the battery died and I found a 60mph speedo. The one I had you can play with the settings and dial it in pretty good.

Andrew Squiggman /

cheapie schwinn one from walmart. dead on accurate. i think its like 6 or 8 bucks.

ive used them, no problems, though it dorsnt update the speed as fast as cable driven

im running a bell one now. idk if its "dead on accurate" but its pretty good. youll have to measure it right and compare it to a gps a couple of times.

at the least, its definitely a good picture of how fast youre going to avoid speeding around cops / see how much faster your bike goes with your new upgrade. i heard theyre only accurate to about 45mph though.

heres the thread i started a while ago.

^ this

also, it can be a pain to mount the magnet. they make the magnets to mount to spoke wheels, so youll have to figure something out. mines held on by electrical tape and zip ties.

Andrew Squiggman /

Jared Throne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> also, it can be a pain to mount the magnet. they

> make the magnets to mount to spoke wheels, so

> youll have to figure something out. mines held on

> by electrical tape and zip ties.

i mounted mine on my tomos mag. if you remove the magnet holder from the spoke mount, the mount has a little hole for a screw. i just drilled a small hole, (just under the thread size of a small screw), and it easily screwed into the mag. just self tapped right in there. poop in the magnet and done. left like a 1/8 " gap to the sensor. perfect

John Warren IhazJawas /

Overpriced Parts /

^^ ya I had 2 break/stop working after a few months

John I have that one and the back light isnt all that great but in general it works well

Josh Rampulla /

i use this

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/CC-VL510/

works great never had a issue with it

the wired ones work better than the wireless. i had 1 on the honda i sold that was with in 1mph of my gps.

Andrew Squiggman /

you can adjust your wheel size numbers to zero these in perfectly. I recommend a measuring tape like for sewing. they have cm on the backside, so you can be exact on tire circumference down to the mm

John Joedicke /

Epoxy the magnet on the wheel.

i ran a cat eye velo 5 on one of my bikes. they are super-accurate. i like the idea of having one that is solar-powered, but the batteries last forever, anyway.

Overpriced Parts /

I was talking about the bell cheepo one

Just junk. You get what you pay for

im using the bell cheepo one. seems good for now.

epoxy and tapping! thats sooooo.... permanent! haha

I can't get a bicycle speedo to work on mine because of vibration. It just flashes on and off. I tried an iso mount too and just holding it while sitting on the running bike, all without any luck. Guess I have to fork out for a speedo cable.

Ran a Cateye , for years, with no probs.

thats a good advantage as to track fuel usage

I have one, they're more accurate than GPS if you do a roll out and program the wheel circumference. Not the best for tracking fuel consumption because most have to be turned "on" and I tend to forget. They're not exactly reliable IMO, but very effective.

if you put the magnet closer to the hub, the speed will be more accurate since the magnet passes the sensor slower

mine works great

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account