Maxi N rigid ID

hi, whats the best way to work out the year of manufacture on my rigid? whos the guru? any help would be great, thanks.

Re: Maxi N rigid ID

A Boy Named Britchez ... /

I think there's a vin/year decoder chart for puch in the wiki.

thanks man, i`ll have a look after breakfast...

Carlos Spicy Wiener /

So how about later years? I've got a Maxi N that starts with 656****, got any ideas?

looked but found nothing that starts with 99545**, did see a few with 9594***, this number (mine) iis on the plate, so is this a vin number and not a frame number? i`ll be down the workshop later today and will remove the paint where the frame number should be, right hand stay? acording to something i saw on the wiki. is this correct, is the same number on the frame stay stamped on the id plate?

levi, you got a N? did you buy the one from motomatic?

Carlos Spicy Wiener /

The frame only and yes. Used to be yours?

ok same number on frame is on the id plate, still don`t help....

Carlos Spicy Wiener /

Any luck Axe man?

no, i was wondering who bought that one. i have a frame/fork also.

Emialed you about your frame...any pics?

getting closer Carlos, but still no date, motor is thought to be late `60`s early `70`s, has a decomp valve on head, E50 for sure but no definative year... pre July 76 is good for registration in Aus, i don`t have to comply (as if i ever did...) will keep searching, also has internal coil (thanks Chris at 1977), it`s an oddity, which kinda fits...

whoa, i saw the pic in your profile, mark. that thing IS old...

1969 was the first year of the maxi and the no clutch cover e50 was replaced for 1976 with the regular e50. I dont know if bing carbs have a date code, but if they do that might help (assuming you have the factory carburetor).

grey l, thanks, saw a few pics after trawling around, only found two with the same decomp head and spark plug position, one is `69, the other is `71, thats close enough for me, started chopping and welding today, this will be a fine wee beastie, with a hand made girder front end.... pics will come, thanks all, Bcool.

levi, the vin on my N is 6842538, the plate says the date of mf is 12/77.

i dont know your complete vin but there could be up to 282,538 bikes made between the yours and mine. if i had to make an educated guess id say yours was made in 1976 or at the most, very early 1977. again this is a guess as there is only one other run that compairs with the amount of bikes manufactured. in that time frame.

Carlos Spicy Wiener /

Hey hey! Good to know! It's easy to get new papers in California, I just wanted to get the year pinned down I sent in the paperwork. As I understand most if not all 76's when red to start with...so was this one.

Thanks a bunch!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account