Do I need a motorcycle license to ride an MB5 in Massachusetts?

I have a line on an MB5 but don't have a motorcycle license. I am required to have one to operate an MB5 in Massachusetts? I know someone has the answer to my query. Thanks in advance.

Re: Do I need a motorcycle license to ride an MB5 in Massachusetts?

--> Jason Kluczyk Presents: Jason Kluczyk /

Since it has gears, I would assume you need a motorcycle license (unless you can get it registered as a moped). Technically, the MB5 doesn't meet these requirements according to MA:

Moped Definition According to Massachusetts law, a moped is a "motorized bicycle." In order to be classified as a moped, the vehicle must:

Have a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cubic centimeters.

Have an automatic transmission.

Be capable of a maximum speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.

Comply with all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards.

But, i've been riding my Puch Sabre's around and calling them mopeds...no trouble yet in chicago!

Yes.

yes, but mass allows you to ride with the motorcycle learners permit during daylight hours and without a passenger wich is valid for 6 months.

btw, thanks for that reed valve kit i got off you this summer, lots of fun...

More than likely, just get the endorcement, it is easy.

MB5 = Motorcycle

its like asking, "Do I need a pilots license to fly my new jet?"

"Even if it's a small jet?"

used to be able to register them as a moped cause the registry didnt know the difference

now they have a list of actual mopeds and nopeds because of people like us tagging motorcycles dirtbikes and 150cc scooters as mopeds

Peter Murray /

You need a license or permit. MA is cracking down on the guys who are trying to run around with machines that are not mopeds by MA definition.

It is a motorcycle .. so ya

fallout Survivor /

gears, no pedals..

does not matter about the displacement, as long as it has a internal combustion engine, without pedals it is a motorcycle all states. The exception is one speed or variated nopeds.

Its a grey area of the law. Use your better judgement. I just registered my Honda NS50 as a street bike.. Well, because it's a street bike by MA Law and it has VIN #'s and a Title. It has 6 gears and pegs therefore its classed as a street bike which requires a street bike license, registration, and proper insurance.. BOOOOO! I can ride on the street and not get run over because its fast enough for the street and if I get pegged I'm covered.

This is what I mean by grey law.. I also sell new Tomos's w pegs or with pedals and the title states MOPED on both models peg or pedal. If the title say's moped on it its a moped. Mopeds do not have a VIN#. Street bikes do have a VIN#. Theres no moped database in the state of MA and your sticker gets linked to your serial number on your moped through your registration when you register with a MA Moped Registration. If they run your #'s and its a VIN# you will be forced to register it as a Street Bike. If you don't have a title you will have to apply for a new one.. Run the numbers and see.

J.T.

Pirate Cycles

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account