A raked Motobecane 7 and a huge engine

after sitting in my chair for hours drinking beer and thinking about how to get a bigger engine into my wimpy Motobecane 7 frame it dawned on me that if I turned the frame upside down I would have plenty of room. I dismantled the front forks and reassembled them upside down and Voila! I now have a Honda S90 style frame that will even accept my Harley Sportster engine and have a nice rake to boot. The trail on the front end is still acceptable and should cruise nicely. I was thinking of using a Lifan 125cc but now it looks like I have more options. The red motor is a Robin 5hp kart engine with a tillotson carb. A little welding work on the rear of the frame and it should be a runner.....oh, and yes, I have a motorcycle license just in case.

IMAG0365.jpg
IMAG0367.jpg
IMAG0370.jpg

Re: A raked Motobecane 7 and a huge engine

Yikes.

lol

wtf

haha yes!

you gonna die...

Jason Jason Bobason /

Ummm....wow.

lol, DO IT.

i could see the kart engine working great in that set-up... though i'd say get ahold of a 100cc 2stroke engine out of a dirtbike, then it'd be a hill climber for certain!

my only concern is stopping, it's nice to have all the go, but without the stop, it's a darwin award machine.

get a set of ebr's with a disc brake on there, or something similar.

get a nice heavily padded seat

maybe drop the rear tank and put a top tank on there? would make more room for a seat... though keeping the rear tank gives it character.

regardless it'd be an interesting build and probably fun to ride, so... why not go for it?

....or I could leave the stock engine and just sit on the exhaust pipe, roasted nuts anyone??

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

ierry said,

after sitting in my chair for hours drinking beer and thinking

How much beer did you drink?..... and what were you thinking?

jordan chichester /

naw, go for it man! this is on some next level shit. :popcorn:

Stop drinking that many beerz

I support this idea!

Best build of 2011, get to work!

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

definitely go top tank (with the original tank) with a low seat over the rear wheel. couild even put a six pack holder on the top of the tank then too so you can do some thinkin and drivin

how many beers?

Removed a little more stuff...

IMAG0375.jpg
IMAG0377.jpg

Justin Petraitis /

My concern would be that back wheel popping out if you didn't torque down the nuts on the axle enough.

how much for the old motor?

ebrs are crap. take the forks off that harley.

Definitely. I will fab a new plate for mounting the rear wheel with the slot going in the correct front to back direction with a "just-in-case/oh-shit" safety plate in case an adjuster breaks or the rear nuts came loose while riding. I cant alter it too much though as my vin # is stamped on that plate.

if you make this work without being a turd i'm going to be genuinely impressed

Hahaha, the DNA springer forks on the front of the Harley weigh about 15lbs less than the entire Motobecane7 did when it was complete(88lbs).

I think I will be selling everything that came off the bike soon. Complete engine, controls & cables, crappy 16" wheels sprockets, etc, etc. I sell stuff on ebay regularly but I will sell the parts here if anybody needs it.

The only thing I will keep is the forks, frame, tank, seat and taillight. the wheels that I put on the bike now are 17"

Here is a ratbike headlight I made and sold on ebay last week;

(edited)

Ricky Lacapria /

dude, if done right this could be so awesome haha. You're definitly onto something. Mount that seat low, as close to the wheel as you can.

Here are some Youtube videos of my work. I have done 100% if the work on this bike except painting the tank and the final trueing of the 15" rear wheel. The bike still had more work done to it after the video but before the guy from Canada flew to Florida and took my baby away ;(( There is a final picture under the videos. Hope you like it :D

(edited)

IMAGE_943.jpg

Well the good news is that I just bought a donor bike for this project last night, it's a 1981 suzuki RM125, 6 speed, water cooled with 26 horsepower for $200 big ones- SCORE! It's complete with the expansion chamber and all. It needs a carb which i'll pickup on Ebay.

The bad news is that on the way home my plastic intake manifold($250) on my ford van blew out and sent coolant all over, the plastic radiator($175) split across the top and worst of all my kayak($750) was stolen from my yard, bunch of asshole pricks...

I live in West Palm Beach FL (edited)

5Y25V65R03n43p73l4ban061e1f03d46d142a.jpg
IMAGE_724.jpg

You must be hoping for a closed caskit kinda look . That frame is not what you want to use . Make your own frame from scratch . You seem to have the skills . Maybe a lack of creativity has blocked out the sunshine of a good , strong , custom frame for this build . Hell , make it look exactly like the one you have now if you like it that much . Drink less beer and do more metal fab work . JMO

Pshhhh..reinforce it..rock the 7 frame.

TJ, where in the Treasure Coast is weak-ends located?. I live in west Palm but travel to Titusville, Rockledge and cape canaveral regularly because I grew up and still have family there so I pass by all the time. My buddy picked up the donor RM125 in Titusville where he lives for me. Yeah, i'm lookin to keep what I can of the stock Motobecane7 frame due to the VIN numbers and just to be different. I'm sure ill still look like an oversized 250lb dork driving this thing Hahaha

The only support this flexi flyer needs is from friends! Best build 2k11.

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

as a fellow 250lb "7” riding dork I salute you. Its a brilliant and novel idea. My vote is for incorporating as much of the stock 7 as possible. Please keep the rear tank if only as a seat base or reserve tank. The more creative the better (old muffler as your baffle...old pedals as rear pegs etc) . As a requisite, work the three white racing stripes onto your new design.

A++

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account