Batavus Regency as a starter moped?

Hello,

I'm brand new to mopeds and moped culture-- just got my first one the other day (yamaha QT50) and haven't even registered it yet. But I saw a deal on a running 1980 Batavus Regency, and I'm wondering if that's too rare of a bird to learn on instead? Is that going to be too hard to find parts and info, especially for a dude with pretty limited small-engine knowledge? Biting off more than a newbie can chew? At least the QT50 has parts galore... but the Regency looks so fresh.

Thanks for your time and opinions!

-Dan

Re: Batavus Regency as a starter moped?

no groms no blasters /

does it run? test ride it. if it goes fast enough for you and feels right and the price is right, get it.

If it is complete go for it, keep the qt as well, they have their place. Not many Bat performance parts but they are well made if a bit different. Not Moby different, but odd nonetheless.

Call me I'll tell you everything you need to know about them I have three of them. 240-529-6731. You can text too or email Ethan.williams1993@gmail.com

My bat was definitely not a starter moped, but it may be my last.

Thanks for the help, guys! I'm going to try to get more specific info from the seller and then I might have more pointed questions (for you, Ethan).

I appreciate the responses. And this site rules. Its a triumph of what the internet can be... a real collection of knowledge and ideas, not just a pile of cat videos. I've already been lost for a few hours just reading about QT50 tuning.

A Batavus isn't a TERRIBLE starter moped. There aren't a lot of performance parts, but if you just want a solid, stock, 25-30mph bike, then I think they're a good choice. There aren't a lot of aftermarket parts (performance or otherwise) but they seem to be common enough that replacing broken things is doable. There's also quite a bit of information on them in the wiki, and I've got manuals if you need one. The only thing I have yet to see for a Batavus is an owner's manual for one of the models with the M56 engine -- I think that would have a wiring diagram for the M56 models, which so far nobody has been able to produce that I've seen.

try this linda

800px-WiringDiaLg.JPG

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

the Laura 48 is so damn reliable you may forget it is slow. The M56 is not as reliable, a little faster, but a royal pain to find parts, specifically the cogged belt and clutch parts. Most Regencys have the 56. I actually would not recommend it as a starter ped because oif the parts issues.

When i think "starter" moped a bat isn't what comes to mind especially if your putting it out there that you are not the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to small engines. I would recommend a Puch or Tomos.

ya i got a m56, had to make parts for it,, like the whole starting cluch parts

That's a diagram for the M48, Mike. I'm sure there's a lot of similarities, but if you look at the picture linked below of the M56 magneto, you'll see that there are only TWO wires coming out of it, not five like on the M48 diagram. I'm still looking for an M56 diagram. Got to be one out there somewhere.

http://miniengine.0catch.com/Mopeds/BatDealersManual/LauraM56/LauraM56pg05.JPG

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

^^^link fail

good 1st ped would be a honda 82 and newer. just because of the cdi.

i will have to look i think i might have another diagram (edited)

I have an owners manual and repair manual for m56. Came with my regency.

I can tell you this, a Batavus is a GREAT starter moped and a HORRIBLE one as well, I came into the moped world with no small engine knowledge and my first ped was a 78 regency m56 motor, it's a pain in the ass when something goes wrong but it's great for learning, in my opinion once you've mastered the m56 motor you've mastered them all because of how complex they are, I have had my regency for 3 1/2 months and have put over 5,000 miles on it with basically no issues, only things I've run into was cleaning the carb all the time cause my tank is rusty, I can now take my motor apart and get it back together in record time. I'll agree the Laura motor isn't the greatest but it's great for learning, plus the styling of the regency (I'm guessing were talking toptank) is stunning.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

^^^hahaha, that's what I think about my Columbia Open Road. If you can keep one of those running, you can keep anything running.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

If you ave an M56

better stock up on cogged belts if you can find em!

also starter clutch disks!

They are hard to get and getting harder day by day

perfectly good starter ped. a guy in our gang got one as his first bike and rode it for like 3 years all the time. m56 with plenty of speed and power.

eventually it started to get kinda hammered, but dont believe the hype.

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

Mad Mike Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> good 1st ped would be a honda 82 and newer. just

> because of the cdi.

>

1981 and newer had cdi

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Honda_PA_Electrical

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Image:Pa50schematic.png

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

I love batavus bikes. The engines fascinate me because its fairly unexplored as far as a powerplant.

If it runs, and can get you there at a decent speed, get it. Perfect starter bikes. And if you are at all mechanically inclined, its even better because as a bike that few people have modded/have bolt on parts for you will have to learn how to do most things without people's help and advice. That means when you go ahead and get your next moped youll be on your way to being a tuner wizard and can pick a bike that will be suited to whatever mod's you want to do to it

I've got a bunch of Batavus engine parts I'm probably gonna be selling when my project is done.

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

I would get it, but thats because I hate the qt50s.

STROKE'S REAL CLOSE TO morini'd scooters...

I would get it, but thats because I hate the qt50s.

^^ I hate qt50's with a firey burning passion.

first moped i rode.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account