Does this constitute a "Build"??? The Baby Maker Project

Here is the build that I have been working on since December or so when I picked up a tired Pinto and a Magnum swing arm from GB Drew. I had been searching for a rigid FreeSpirit but couldn't find one for a reasonable price, so I decided to make my own version. I set out to do as much of the build as possible myself. Here is how it all unfolded to create this monster.....

Here is the sketch of the design for the bike i did over a year ago.

The donor bike

Broke down ready for sandblasting at my friend's shop.

THe motor tear down.

I drilled out my main gear for lightness

I then paired that with a lightened clutch bell

Then I painted the cases and repainted the Gila kit and did a full rebuild on the E50

An all stainless MLM St. Ripper bike with a brushed finish

Now the frame....

Widened and welded maxi pedal crank

Tank

I designed, welded and fabricated my own perimeter rotor like on a Buell

Mocked up

Started building my own seat out of a flat sheet of 3003 H14 aluminum

All polished up

All finished and assembled

On the way to Rockerbox 2011

Where i took home the "Cool as Fuck" award.

Re: Does this constitute a "Build"??? The Baby Maker Project

holy gd...

very nice.

Joseph Gummer /

looks AMAZING! can you bring the back of the tank down an inch or so? I think it would help it look a little more streamlined and might even be more comfortable when you ride. with the bars that low doesn't the tank stick into your stomach??

† CH∆D † /

Mama mia. SO nice.

The back of the tank is as low as it goes without having to completely modify the tunnel. I want to raise the front up a little so that there is a straight line front to back. I'm a pretty tall and skinny guy so my lack of stomach doesn't hit the tank. The bars might get switched up because they are kinda low and kill my wrists.

I forgot about my headlight. I think it's fairly old yet pretty cool.

Before

After the dents out

holy smokes!

attendtion to detail! award!

Best build I've seen in a while. Very clean work.

Beautiful job that thing is a work of art. I agree with previous poster looks like tank goes downhill just a little. Seat looks killer, i'd have to have a pad for my ass but thats me. The detail and fab work really shows. C-grats on award.

† CH∆D † /

I kinda like the angle on the tank other then the seat doesnt line up. Either way man, very tastefull.

MLM must be proud to hang there work on alot of these insanO bikes.

other than the tank, this bike is stellar. i love how you did that rigid section. looks really well done. and that rotor. good god that is sick.

Much Respect

The front wheel is epic.

i want that main gear!

Seat is amazing.

Great ideas, great build.

Aaron Bajongus /

Pretty cool man. I have a Unity fog light im going to use on my pinto.

did you put that clear lense in there? Mine has a yellow lense.

I like to read that you are addressing the tank angle.

Thumbs up!

Epic build. Next level. That seat is crazy.

Epic!!!! Question though: with all the holes in the main gear how did you balance it? Or is it really not that important? Is That much of a difference?

Love the build and your obvious skills, but really dislike the tank. Just doesn't look right.

How fast?

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

That front brake looks like a bad idea, does it work? Spin true, not flex? Your wiring ends need solider and heat shrink. Looks are obviously to each his own, nice quality, interesting finishes. Great work.

This would easily qualify for build of the year showdown.

Love to know how well the front brake works.

@ Tommy, I did not balance the main gear and if I did it again I would do half as many holes on the outer gear and concentrate on making them more uniform in distance apart. It has held up to some abuse so far. I can tell the motor spins up way faster, especially at speed when you roll into it.

@ RingrinBang, I have less than 10 miles on the motor. I know I'm into the fifties for sure with no real break in or tuning. On 17x45 gearing.

@ Matt, why you say the front brake is a bad idea? The stantions are both mechanically fixed and welded to the rim edge, there was little to no warping after welding, and the rim was then trued after. The only thing I'm fighting is getting enough pad contact on the rotor surface. Just need some fine tuning. It grabs without locking up yet pulls you down way better than the front drum ever did.

As far as the wiring at the distribution block, there really isn't much room to run nice heat shrunk connectors like I would normally use. I haven't found the right ones to use yet. What you don't see is the really sweet water tight conectors that are hidden down by the motor. One connector and the motor can be pulled out for easy service and it looks clean as can be.

As far as the tank goes, its hard to find something moped size that looks good. I think I went through about 10 tanks that friends borrowed me to see if I could use them. This was the best looking that I came up with and fits nicely with the cafe-ish look I was going after.

Thanks for all the comments and interest.

I saw this ped @ Rockerbox , I think it won an award for being the raddest bike there. Wildest build from WI in a long time!

i fucking love that seat, you have great fab skills. kudos!

Really, what a fantastic build this is! The seat; that is what is missing in my life. I am now far more motivated to get myself that TIG I've been wanting.

The only negative thing I have to say is that it's a shame you had to use such an already pretty bike as the donor frame, but I guess it was worth it.

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

Spokes flex alot applying the brake in turns, forks flex, the harder you lean the more the brake applies. That could pull you down. You could even rip the nipples out of the rim breaking hard, I hope I'm wrong, be careful.

Joseph Gummer /

question: did you drill holes in the frame and run the electrical wiring through it? I don't see wires anywhere! very clean

maybe u could raise the tail end of the seat so it streamlines whith the tank... might work if your raising the bars....other then that sweet build ...

you sir.... win, everything... whatever it is it's yours, unfortunately i have nothing, so you need to ask someone else.

that perimeter brake is awesome, i've been wanting to do something simular but i didn't think the moped rim would be durable enough for the braking stresses... but then i usually overthink on the pessimistic

i can only wish to make anything even a modicum as nice as this bike

Holy crap!!! You take this stuff serious, don't you?

M∆®†Y Køk€š /

Very clean, nice build!!

Jason Williams /

Simply Amazing.... Cant get enough of the look. I will agree about the gas tank needs to be leveled out but other than that amazing...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account