2 speed tranny problems

emilys 1979 kreidler mp19 has been hard to engage recently.. and after the other day, it kinda wont engage at all now... i fiddled with the decompression/clutch contraption on the cylinder head a little and got it to start again...

today, i decided to clean and "service" the tranny... drained the fluid and it looked like chocolate milk. brown and gross... there was also some sort of silvery deposit (not metal, though... just dark grey colored liquid) on the bottom of the case cap when i took it off... i know the ATF fluid was RED when i put it on.. why is it brown now? is this normal? and what is the best way to thoroughly clean and service the tranny? the gears and everything inside look to be in tip-top shape, so im assuming the problem was with the fluid... no shavings or anything laying about inside...

i can take pics and post them of any of the parts if you need to see what im talking about... thanks alot!

casey

Re: 2 speed tranny problems

also, the fluid i used before was " dexron type III ATF"... it said something about being "designed for ford" or something like that on the bottle... but thats what someone in an earlier post told me to use...

casey

it might be brown because the clutch is burning up and it is causing your fluid to turn brown because of carbon.

Hey,Casey!You'd be well-advised to get a shop manual. Some of the trannies in `peds have adjustable clutch tensions.Sounds like you might have a clutch that's sticking(I'm assuming it's a wet-clutch).The clutch operates by the inner hub sliding inside the outer hub and this pushes levers which wedge the clutch shoes outward along with centrifugal force.If this sliding action is impaired by debris,rust,or bad fluid,the clutch slips more and burns the Dexron fluid.(this is probably your brown color)A quick kerosene-Dexron flush while running it on the stand might help if you only run it about 5 minutes.(I wouldn't run it more than 5 minutes and don't rev it too high.)Use half kerosene and half Dexron.Then drain it completely and refill with Dexron.On one of my Sebrings,I had to disassemble the clutch,shine it up,lube it,and it seemed to actuate a lot better.Get all the crud out of it you can before you reassemble it,and be SURE there are NO metal filings or pieces. P.S. : Don't do the Kerosene flush if you can't easily drain ALL the dirty flush back out.

hey don! thanks alot.. yeah, i think Ike has a manual for the kreidler.. ill get in touch with him...

the problem is, i cant even get it to engage to start now.. =[

there didnt appear to be any debris in there at all... how about just refilling it with dexron and giving it a go?

as for flushing it out.. it should be running.. then while it is running, drain the fluid out and refill with the kerosene/dexron mix? then drain that out and refill with dexron?

man, i REALLY dont wanna mess this ped up... its that beautiful kreidler on our site! =]

thanks for the help!

casey

No,Casey,NEVER drain fluid out of a running `ped.You can just refill it with dexron if you want,but if it was MY Kriedler,it'd get Mobil 1 synthetic which replaces Dexron in most applications.I go for the heat resistance and superior viscosity stability of synthetic.But I'm not sayin' for you to do that,`cause there is a slight possibility that something in the `ol Kriedler wouldn't like the synthetic.Me?I'm synthetic all the way when I think I can run it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account