1980 Puch Sport MKII?

hey guys, my friend is getting into mopeds and is going to look at an '80 Puch MKII with the 2hp engine. It has 3000 miles on it and supposedly runs good. just got a few questions for you puch experts.

are these good, reliable bikes? my friend isnt a mechanic like me and i dont want him to get stranded.

is $450 a reasonable price? its in pretty good shape just needs the chrome polished to look mint...and its located in new england, if that has an affect on price.

any particular problems to look for?

how does the 2hp 2speed do on hills and top speed? we live in a hilly area and want a bike that wont bog down on every hill.

Thanks guys! any input is appreciated!

Re: 1980 Puch Sport MKII?

Kenneth Sanders I I /

Too late, I forwarded someone in Wethersfield to pick it up! My bad hahah!

dammit. we called him 2 hours after it was posted on CL and he said it was still there and we could go look at it friday.

No one on CL is going to wait. First person that shows up with cash takes it home.

yeah, but if you make plans to have someone take a long drive up there (and borrow a truck to do it) then you should at least call back and say that someone showed up with cash and took it away.

Chris Driscoll /

For future reference... 450 is a decent price for that moped (in new england anyways). They are good and reliable. Plenty of parts available for them. I have never paid under 375 for a fully functional moped in New England and I live in MA. I'll bet people in NE have paid less, but not I....

thanks! thats the kind of answer i was looking for. i wasnt sure what the market is like around here so i couldnt tell if people just thought the bikes are worth their weight in gold or if the bikes are worthless....whatever my friend buys its gonna be in the under $500 range.

right now its either a '81 motobecane traveler with a variator and upgraded carb or a '79 puch magnum. most likely the puch.

Kenneth Sanders I I /

I wouldn't pay more than 400. I've always kept it below that. Learn to negotiate. Use the lack of paperwork, key, stock tool sets, bike pumps, and manuals to your favor. note major defects and repairs you would need to do. Most 30 year old engines always need new oil seals, bearings and clutch work.

Be paitent, and jump on deals. Be ever vigilant! I love competition! Or you could email me your phone number, I could call you and forward you deals on mopeds like I did to the new owner of that 1980 Puch Maxi MKII. You already got my FB.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account