Forced air induction

streetracerX /

does anyone know about a home-made foced air induction using a battery powered fan, would it have any performance effects on the moped, almost like a turbo, but on a much smaller scale

Re: Forced air induction

Your in essence talking about a blower, pretty much. To be able to get noticable power increase, your going to have to boost the air pressure by 8 to 10 psi, like on turbos. BUT, these motors are 2 stroke engines. The compressed air would sit inside the engine block until the piston uncovers the hole for the fuel mix to enter. On a car engine, 4 stroke, there is a seperate valve for intake, and that can be compressed, like a blower or turbo. I would think a blower on a 2 stroke would hamper the crankshaft because of the pressure in the block. Not only that, I think the seals would probably go and I don't think the reed valves can handle the pressure differentials.

I could be full of crap here, but thinking logically. You know, thinking about it, I don't think I've ever come across a turbo or blowed 2 stroke engine.

There is one thing that might help, just a little, what I call "Ram Air Induction." It's like putting a hood scoop on your carb when going down the road to force more air in the filter. But I'm still experimenting with that on my QT50.

check this action out.

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/apr00stool.htm

oh, and a car can get significant amount of power from as little as 6 pounds of boost. That's what all the little four cylinder turbo kits run for imports. Since a 2 cycle runs at more than double the rpm maybe smaller boost would show bigger results?? just guessing.

Re: Main seal leaks

The test for leaking main bearing seals, if you have the right equipment to seal all the openings in the engine, is for it to hold 5 PSI for 10 minutes max.

The boost from a blower would probably blow any seal that wasn't top notch.

Jim

Re: Main seal leaks

gimmyjimmy /

hey Jim, get the wrist pins in?

Sprint Man /

Please let me know when you find more info on the turbo fans.

merlin311 /

i plan on doing this to my 70cc fourstroke. im thinking of doing two fans one right after another so i get better flow in.ill be doing this soon hopefully.a month at most once i get used to the 3 speed and get it broke in.

merlin311 /

its very crude its just a five minute drawing that should about resemble mine when i do it ill be posting effects schematics part numbers etc.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account