Puch Maxi Slow Acceleration

I just got my first moped and it is a 78 Puch. I love it but it seems that the acceleration is less then it should be. I understand it is only 50cc and its not supposed to be doing wheelies. When i accelerate it seems hard to get moving and when I get to about 16 it just stops accelerating. I have to play with the throttle to make it go faster and then I can usually get it up to mid-high 20's on a flat road. Is this normal? Thanks for any help you can give.

Re: Puch Maxi Slow Acceleration

Some modles are just slow. Look up unrestricting a puch.

Figure out which HP rating you have. If you have a 1hp model, that's probably about right. If you have a 1.5 or 2hp model, then something is probably off. Or well, no matter which one you have, you shouldn't have to dick with the throttle to get it to go faster -- that's probably a maintenance thing rather than what it's supposed to do.

A basic tuneup is always a good place to start. Clean the carb. Get an in-line fuel filter. Check/replace the spark plug. Clean the points. Check for spark. Check for air leaks once you've got the bike put back together. Make sure your chain is properly lubed and tensioned. Drain the transmission fluid and put new stuff in. If none of that helps, there are probably some other things you can look at, but this is all stuff that really ought to be done when you get a new moped. There's a decent chance you'll improve the situation with just the basics, and if not, then at least you can scratch all this stuff off the list of potential reasons why it's doing what it's doing.

Recovering gas-a-holic /

If your bike is a 25mph model it should get there fairly quick. Try cleaning every thing really well......Take your muffler off and clean it, carb clean it, fuel tank clean....Check wiki for derestriction tips....This should get you to 30 mph...Good luck with your bike

Recovering gas-a-holic /

^yes and what she said...

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account