30 yr old Puch Maxi - worth the money?

New to the moped game, looking for some help. Been browsing these forums for a little while now and think you all can definitely help. I currently have someone offering to sell me a 30 yr old Puch Maxi for $300. Needs some work and tuning - currently waiting on a list from him. He says he's willing to do it for $150 more, so I'm guessing it can't be that much work. I'd rather do it myself so I can learn moped mechanics.

My main concern though is finding something that is easy and cheap to repair, and can also be upgraded to ~50mph to keep up with traffic flow. Is this a decent (or even good) find? Would you say its worth the money?

Appreciate any advice!

PS - Attached a photo, for what its worth...

1.JPG

Re: 30 yr old Puch Maxi - worth the money?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

For a first bike, I'd look for a completely stock, running Puch Maxi. That bike has been modded mechanically and cosmetically.

Salsa Salsa /

that thing has been molested

--> Jason Kluczyk Presents: Jason Kluczyk /

that looks like they slapped a magnum cylinder and pipe on it...

Totally worth the asking price..

no groms no blasters /

buy it

Getting that bike to run 50mph to keep up with traffic like you stated is going to cost you a bit. And you should learn to fix it yourself before you try to go 50mph for a long period of time.

Patrick Baltard /

I agree with Joel. Put the "50mph" aspect on the back burner, and learn the bike in and out before you start any major mods. Start small if you wanna boost performance... get a new pipe, new air filter and bigger jet in the carb. Ride that 'til it bores you, and then work your way up to a kit. Then.... BLAST!

I know the dude selling it. He is a good dude.

Thanks for the advice everybody! I assumed 50 would be pushing it but I wanted to see what reactions were to it. I'm going to try and take a look at it this weekend - take it from there...

William Absent /

Nice approach to getting results on the 50 mph advice.

I would say yeah it is worth it, make sure the tank is clean, see what was done to it, (that bike is no longer stock). If you are mechanically inclined you should be able to handle it. Gest a list of all the changes that were made to the running gear, so you know where to start with tuning it up. Service manual will only have stock specs, which will not apply to kits or bigger carbs. Cool looking bike though. Best of luck. BTW, 50 is possible, but settle for 35-40 for a while.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account