Puddle Cutters / other Portland folks - Your help appreciated

Hella Dankmeme, III /

Greetings - I'll be heading out to Portland (from Chicago) this Saturday (14th) for a job interview on Monday. I haven't been there before, so I'm hoping to spend Saturday night and Sunday getting a feel for the area. If someone is free and filled with civic pride and could take an hour or two to show a stranger around, I'll happily return the favor with a beverage or three of your choice.

In particular I'll be looking for good neighborhoods for a husband/wife in their low 30s with two small poorly-behaved dogs, and that will probably be makin' babies in the next few years (stupid sexy biological clocks), so if you have particular knowledge in that area (good neighborhoods for kids, not babymakin - I think I have that covered. I think), my factfinding mission will be much easier. Thanks!

Re: Puddle Cutters / other Portland folks - Your help appreciated

Wrenching on mopeds + Lawyering > makin' babies

Hella Dankmeme, III /

Nah, i don't mind the makin' part. It's the part that comes after that will seriously cramp my wonderfully self-centered existence.

Sullivan & Sullivan,llp /

how did you get out of law school without going insane?

Hella Dankmeme, III /

I spent as little time with my fellow students as humanly possible.

Hella Dankmeme, III /

bump it good

you looking to rent or buy a house? houses here are pretty cheap unless you want to own near trendy shops & cafes, but if you make lawyer money, that's probably not a problem. depends how close in you want to be. most people i know who ride live in SE/NE/North. probably easier to find a house with a garage there for all those bikes in your profile than on the west side, but i really don't cross the river much, maybe someone over there knows different?

this might help http://www.portlandneighborhood.com/

Hella Dankmeme, III /

Thanks. Yeah, I am a lawyer but I have lawyer student loans. So not looking to buy anything crazy. We'd rent a house for a year to get used to the area before we got locked down on a mortgage again. I've been thinking SE, maybe Sunnyside or Mt. Tabor. On the internet they seem to be good compromises between proximity to downtown and affordability. And seem like an easy bike/bus commute. And yeah - 2-car garage or workshop is a must, though I'll be selling some hobbits once I get out there (if I get out there, I suppose). Any view on which schools are good? Once we buy, we're gonna be locked in for years so gotta plan for that too. Also, would it be worth it to rent a car for sunday to explore, or would buses get me around easy enough and without the parking hassle. Thanks again.

we love the hobbit, last night i think 7 of the 10 bikes were hobbits.

i work in Sunnyside, lived there from 2001 until i bought a house in 2006 in Mt. Scott, 3 miles away but houses cost about half as much. i don't have kids so can't accurately comment on schools.

you could always rent a bicycle and throw it on the bike rack on the bus, though buses run less often on sunday and who knows what hours a bike rental place keeps. guess it depends how much/far exploring you want to do.

Everyone in uphill battle pretty much lives in south east. I would say stick with that area. I used to live by mount tabor and my neighbor with kids loved the school their kids went to.

most of the cutters live in southeast.its the best side of town I think.ive got saturday off so I can show you some areas and hang out and meet some peeps.573 286 0699.get ahold of me. I just hope battle doesnt start drunk dialing me now that they will all have my number now.

Hella Dankmeme, III /

Haha - thanks. I'm not actually getting into town until saturday at 6pm. But I'll have all day sunday too if you don't want to give up a saturday night. Thanks again.

Get a vasectomy on the sly. Contrary to what you will experience you don't have to be an alcoholic to live there. Probably the best place in the world to retire in your twenties. If you have already squandered your youth on education you will at least find your working lifestyle will feel like semi retirement in P-Town

We will be at Epicenter (friends saloon) for thier 2year anniversary.

Free beer, wine and snacks. 7:00ish.

It's around 7th on burnside east side. Come down

And say hi.

I'm with Johnny so call him or me.

(503) 317-1683.

Hella Dankmeme, III /

Cool$ gonna grab a slice by my hotel and head out.

Hella Dankmeme, III /

Thanks for hanging out dudes. I was a zombie all day Sunday, so you guys did your job well Saturday night. Not sure where I'll end up, but I definitely confirmed my suspicion that Portland would be a rad place to live. Thanks again. xxoo steve

Youre verry welcome. It was a fun time hangin out get ahold of ue next time youre in town or just keep in touch.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account