Riding dirty in Chicago?

So I've recently from Ypsilanti Michigan to Chicago. Getting your bike legal here seems like a pretty massive undertaking in comparison to the old MI laws. My question-

Is it as difficult as it seems to get a kitted moped sans title registered in Chicago? The DMV website says I need a title, insurance, and a separate endorsement to ride legal here. That's a lot of cash and based on how strict they are on giving out driver licenses, I'm guessing it's a nightmare getting tags for an old non-stock moped.

...Which leads to my next question-

Is my best bet maybe to register my bike in MI or some other surrounding state? Anyone know how cool the cops are with that? Has anyone gotten pulled over for riding without any tags? I'm afraid mostly about getting my bike impounded or a huge fine.

Disclaimer- not asking anyone to promote anything illegal or suggest I break the law or anything. Just hoping to learn from other people's experiences with registering in IL, riding out of state tags, or riding non registered bikes in chicago.


Re: Riding dirty in Chicago?

--> Jason Kluczyk Presents: Jason Kluczyk /

If you can register it in MI do it, then take that registration slip into the DMV to get a plate, easiest way...allegedly there is a guy at the thompson center that will register a moped that "has never been regist'd before," ie: barn find...also if your still using your MI license, your MI moped sticker should work.

Insurance is mandatory also.

I've been pulled over a couple times, and they say it's not legal, i just agree and say i'm on my home...when I don't have a plate...

but on my regis'd bike, i show my insurance, say i have a tailight and plate...and they usually go there merry way.

Re: Riding dirty in Chicago?

--> Jason Kluczyk Presents: Jason Kluczyk /

Re: Riding dirty in Chicago?

i'm thinking that even if you get your bike registed in MI since you know the ropes, that would be much better than riding with no plate. out-of-state plates w/ current tags tell cops "yeah, i live here, but i'm kinda trying to play right". having no plate is like telling cops "fuck you, i don't have to play right."

pretty much anywhere you go, unless you can claim residency in a state that requires no paperwork fo a moped (which is still a slippery-slope), you could get your bike impounded and never see it again if you have no documentation for it. (edited)

Re: Riding dirty in Chicago?

--> Jason Kluczyk Presents: Jason Kluczyk /



Moped Definition

The following four criteria must be met in order to be considered a moped; otherwise it is a motor-driven cycle and requires a Class L license. If all four criteria are met, the operator of a moped may drive it with any valid driver’s license of any classification.

A motorized pedalcycle is a motor-driven cycle with speed attainable in one mile of 30 mph or less.

Equipped with a motor that produces 2-brake horsepower or less.

If an internal combustion engine is used, displacement shall not exceed 50cc.

Power drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.

Licensing, Registration, and Insurance

You must have a valid drivers license

You must have a title for the moped,

You must register the moped with the state

You must have plates on the moped

You must have insurance for the moped.

If you do not have a title, you will need a bill of sale from a state that does not require one. Close states that fit this criteria are Indiana and Missouri.

The bill of sale needs to state Year, Make, Model and if you can put that the moped is 49cc or under, that helps.

$25 sales tax

$130 registration/title/plates

If problems arise, find the nearest vehicle titling/registration buisiness, they will give you no problems, although there will be a small fee (usually around $20).

Another way to get a title for any untitled vehicle, including a moped:

Have the vehicle appraised by a third party. For mopeds, this will probably be a motorcycle dealer.

Put up a deposit in the amount of one and a half times the appraisal value. This deposit is refundable after three years, and exists in case someone else makes a valid claim on the vehicle.

Pay the regular fees for title and plates. $65 for title, $38 for plates for one year.

Rules and Regulations

Must obey all signs, signals and traffic laws and most bicycle laws.

Drivers may carry a passenger only when the moped is made for two people. Equipment must include a passenger seat and a passenger footrest.

If a moped is driven at night, it must have a headlight visible from at least 500 feet and have a red reflector on the rear visible from at least 100 to 600 feet

Helmets are not required in Illinois, but eye protection is.

Taken from moped2.org and Cyberdriveillinois.

Re: Riding dirty in Chicago?

fallout Survivor /

If you cannot do it legally, sell it, or garage it as an ornament.

Otherwise, obey the law.

Re: Riding dirty in Chicago?

FYI the appraisal, deposit, paperwork etc is just fucked - pain in the ass; I did it and it wasn't really worth it.

Re: Riding dirty in Chicago?

Definitely register them in MI. There is no problem at all riding a ped with out of state tags/registration. If you are planning on becoming an Il resident then registering them here should be easier as well since the bikes were purchased in Michigan, which does not require titles.

Re: Riding dirty in Chicago?

Ive been riding with MI tags in Chicago since 2004 been pulled over plenty of times and never had anything more than an awkward conversation.

If your license is from MI then most cops will wont have any issues with a MI tagged ped.

Re: Riding dirty in Chicago?

yeah i got a garage found puch here in Michigan went to the secretary of states office and got it registered and on the road for like $15 only took me about 20minutes

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account