motobecane sprockets.........

Hello all!!! Ive got me a 77 motobecane and a 68 motoconfort. The 68 had a much bigger rear sprocket than the 77. Im about ready to start putting the 68 back together and was just wondering which sprocket I should use. Whats the pros and cons of using either of them?? Will the bigger one give me more speed? or power? Id be grateful for any other tips or suggestions yous might have on speed and power. Id like to do some mods while the bike is totally ripped down but Im not too sure what exactly to do, so far Im just trying to get my hands on a performance pipe. What other goodies are out there for motobecanes?? Thanks all! Matt

Re: motobecane sprockets.........

Smaller rear sprocket = more speed but less power. Larger rear sprocket = more power but less speed. It'll always be a compromise, I put a smaller rear sprocket on my Peugeot and it bumped the speed up about 5 mph and it still pulls fairly well. Get a chain breaker and expirement, but don't throw away the sections of chain you remove in case you want to go back to it's original sprocket.

Re: motobecane sprockets.........

It's like a ten speed bike. When you have the chain on the smallest rear sprocket you go fast but it takes a while to get to that speed. A bigger back sprocket and you can really start off quick. Either way I go for top speed. GIMME SPEED.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account