My first build - Complete - 1980 Maxi

Chris Driscoll /

Pardon the length of this post, but it will answer a lot of questions.

My first build is complete finally! I finished up with 8 hours of electrical wiring between yesterday and this morning. She rips!

I started in in Oct. last year and I am done as of today. My dad rules. If it wasn't for him and all his obscure tools, I would be out hundreds more haha. Thanks to John (supercub) for helping me with some assembly. Thanks to Treats and 1977 Mopeds for all the parts. Thanks to Erik for the white saddle seat. I bumped a 2 year old FS post on a whim and he still had it for sale. Thanks to Jesse B for the powder coated white side rails. Thanks to my electrical genius friend Matt for explaining the wiring I needed to do. Also, thanks to Miguel Rivera form the Puddle Cutters for my sweet ass decal (when he decides to ship it). That's the last piece to this puzzle.

This is what it looked like before I started in Oct. 2010.

This is what it looks like now. May 2011.

SPECS

1980 Maxi 1.5HP E50

17X40 Gearing

Tecno Bullet Pipe

14mm Bing and Intake

Custom White Cabling

EBR's and ICMA 300mm Shocks

12V LED for Rear (with custom bracket I made) and 12V Headlight

New Parts (Post Oct. 2010)

New Grips

New Controls

New Seat

New Cables

New Pedals

New Mirror

New Gaskets

New Headlight

New Bars

New Pipe

New Rubber and Tubes

New Brakes

Treats and 1977 loved me all winter for blowing all my money there. I can honestly say I won't be building another one soon. It was fun though! Here's the complete blog chronicling the build from beginning to end.

Re: My first build - Complete - 1980 Maxi

apoca lypsis /

nice build man! I wish I have maxi!

sweet man! love the color choices, and the all white cables looks savage

came out great!

those bars are wide

Looks great!

ɯɐpɐ ʞunʞs /

Holy wide bars, Batman!

Have fun with the insta-dirty white grips! Haha.. I can never keep a set clean.

Looks pretty sweet. I don't care much for the way the rear brake cable is running but thats just me.

Chris Driscoll /

No other way to run it without a stock air filter since it has that cable guide built in. Grips are 5 bucks, when they get too dirty I will just buy new ones. Also, look into something called Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Shit cleans amazing! Not worried about a dirty seat or grips.

They had the mini white motocross bars but the word mini scared me away from buying them. They aren't too uncomfortable though.

very clean! i like it, shows how much care you put into it. also will you be kitting it? today i went for a ride in west springfield with 3 other guys. we cruise in the 40's. it would be cool to ride with you too.

Dude, that's gorgeous. Love the colors. Totally a vintage feel for sure.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

How do like the sound of your pipe, I love mine.

Chris Driscoll /

Nice deep throaty sound! Filipp, not going to kit it. I don't want to blow up my motor. I probably would if I kit it because I know nothing about them.

sic build, keep it stock and reliable..... you will enjoy it more.

wicked slick! mind if I put it up on the sha1412?

Chris Driscoll /

Go for it. Thanks for all the kind words. If anyone is wondering I GPS'd the Maxi at 36.8 MPH on a flat quarter mile stretch. Not too shabby. It has no balls on the low end because of the 17X40 gearing, (and it's 4 stroking a bit). Sort of Boggy in the mid range. I'm going to pull the plug tonight and see what it looks like after driving around all day yesterday. If it looks dark I will downjet and lean the needle.

Adam Metterville /

Sick Build! Where in mass are you? we're in central mass, lets ride!

Chris Driscoll /

Didn't you guys come to my Cider Run in Oct. last year?

It looks awesome! Wicked clean.

Nice build, I like I like. If you're boggy in the midrange I wouldn't lean your needle. Usually Bog=lean, 4-stroke=rich. But once you get that carb running smooth I'd say lower that gearing and you'd have a solid set up.

Hey- Do you have the old seat from before the rebuild? If it's tear-free and in good shape, I'd be happy to buy it.

cute.

Chris Driscoll /

Lower the gearing? I raised it from 14x40. I can live with the lack of power on the low end for awhile. Ill give it the season at least. The seat has been sold already and there were two small rips in it.

Chris Driscoll /

Took Out the plug and checked it last night. Nice chocolate brown. 64 jet. Maybe if I lean the needle one setting it will help with the top end.

nice build chris! we should have another western mass ride when i finish my moby build

Chris Driscoll /

Thanks man. You're STILL working on that moby? Finish up so we can ride! Email me if ya ever wanna go for a spin.

put the frame/tank decals on, give it some depth. looks like you put a lot of work into it.

Devin Macedo /

beautiful! another mass'er too... sweet

Chris Driscoll /

I am still waiting for the frame decals to be shipped. I got some custom made. Thanks Devin.

awesome work looks great. just not my choice of colors. then again who the fuck am i to judge what others like. :-)

Chris Driscoll /

I dig the 40's, 50's and 60's. My father in law painted an old Fender Guitar this color scheme and I knew right there my first build was going to be the same. I want to do a purple one identical to this one for my wife. Maybe some stock white bars and a long white seat for comfort though.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account