Importing mopeds from Canada to the US

Does anyone know any restrictions on it? Or what kinds of fees and taxes that need to be paid? Would a title be mandatory?

thanks for the help!

Re: Importing mopeds from Canada to the US

slip that shit in on unguarded border and title is as something else!

I think you have this backwards. we don't have mopeds in Canada, hell i can't even find a local parts dealer.

Kevin Pierce /

haha there is one up there that I want for cheap. Anyone know anything about bringing a non-working one over the border into washington?

Just bring it over in the back of a truck, once home go to DMV or equivalent provide bill of sale and say you bought it from a state that didn't require it to be registered.

Kevin Pierce /

will they provide a title for it then? I'm wondering if the people at the border will give me crap about it

There are no titles on bikes that aren't registered. If you say it came from a state that doesn't require registration then of course you won't have a title, right?

Kevin Pierce /

sorry, my question was worded wrong. When it comes from a state that doesn't require registration and I register it here, will I be able to get a title for it? Or will i have to do a bunch of other stuff to get it titled?

I don't know, every state is different.

In California you just mail in a form with ~$20, provide a bill of sale, and they give you a plate and an ID card.

@kevin

Washington is kind of fucked when trying to get titles. Sometimes the DMV likes you and sometimes they dont.

I have "imported" mopeds from surrey and vancouver in pieces, bought and then dissasembled them in the back of my truck. Then boxed up and put behind the seat so it was out of view, but it sure is sketchy to say the least. Now a days with the border being triple checked on the way back IN, i would highly doubt you could sneak it past anymore.

Best thing to do is to get it, dissasemble it and ship it back to your house. In the long run, it is cheaper than paying the import fees. You may, however, not be able to ship the frame back. Not sure on that tho, as most of the packages from canada I get now have these wonderful " federal x-rays were taken of this package " stickers all over them.

Good luck.

Kevin Pierce /

what happens if they do see that you have a moped in the back? any ideas on what the actual fees would be? could you say its for parts and not to get running?

NO, whatever you do, dont just go up blind and throw your hands up at the border and play dumb.

You will have to pay an import tax of what I dont know. There are alot of sites to help you out with this if you search around. You will have to have ALL the paperwork from the previous owner(s) and if you cant provide that, be prepared to be accused of stealing it and deal with the border patrol.

Honestly for a 175$ non running moby, its not worth it.

Be quick on CL and go get something the day its up. Fuck school, work, whatever if you want it, go get it. We have been through this before on the buy and sell.

† CH∆D † /

yeah fuck that moby.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account