Jawa Experts - Got Free Jawa - Now What Do I Need? - Cool Pics!

Keith Barbuti /

Hi guys I just got this Jawa for free. It's pretty damn rough, but it was free right. A friend gave it to me and I like to get it running so that he can ride it with me. Jawa experts out there please help me determine what I need to get this think running again.

Facts:

-Wheels spin freely

What I can see is missing:

-stator cover

-ht coil

-air filter (maybe)

-side covers (not essential)

More clues in pics below

Need Stator cover & thyristor looks to be fucked

Ht coil + spark plug boot missing & air filter looks hacked ???

Any help would be great. Thanks for looking.

Re: Jawa Experts - Got Free Jawa - Now What Do I Need? - Cool Pics!

Keith Barbuti /

I'm fairly certain these are the same as the 210s ????

Keith Barbuti /

i know the controls are fucked and not useable - I'm mainly concerned with the engine and ignitiaion system

you need the tube from the carb to the frame in order for it to run right with that carb.

you can probably just run a piece of hose from your busted carb cover to your actual air box up on the down-tube of the frame. i think the air filters came with a little screen in them. i made my own filter element using two pieces of mesh with a piece of somewhat-porous AC filter between them. the jikov carbs are very finicky and like to have the air filter in tact.

i would clean up the coils, get an HT coil, and try it out before you write it off as having a bad thyristor. if in fact you need one, either vlado could possibly get you one from a late-model 210, which are the good ones, or you can make your own.

your bike appears to be an early-model 210. here is a website that goes through model variants, history, etc.(edited)

Keith Barbuti /

excellent tahnks

do you know anything about the magneto? the outer piece that you can see does not spin.

I read somewhere about an internal rotor ??

do you know anything about that?

Yeah, it's internal rotor. The middle part should spin. This would be a 210 single speed. Probably one of the easiest moped engines to rebuild. I don't see a thyristor in any of those pics. The piece you are holding up is just a connector, I replaced mine with one for trailer lights. You can get awesome new cranks from eastern2stroke on ebay. They are slow shipping, but the quality of their parts is great. First see if it turns over.

thats a 210 single speed engine. I still havent figured out why they labeled these 130. none of the manuals mention a 130 model from what I have seen. you are missing the filter tube and the actual air filter box thing that mounts to the frame. the ignition is neat, no points, similar to CDI but without the reliability. you should be able to rotate the inner magnet thing, there is an arrow on it showing the direction. if not it is likely frozen up. in this condition you should expect a complete teardown and rebuild of the engine. the bearings are likely rusted up.

100_3680.JPG

first fix that wiring.

that connector has 5 wires into it coming from the engine

fix that first.

coils are easy...........lots of them available

thryster are harder.........your 210 would probably take the 4 prong thryster

i think you need a throttle cable too

magneto covers are 7.00 on ebay

pretty complete Jawa IMO

did you take off the rear frame cap? they come with a tire pump and tools. neato.

no groms no blasters /

also, call it a yava if you want to be extra elite.

Despite the name, it is truly a CDI and it can be very reliable. unfortunately for Jawa, at the time they did not have access to the best components. New replacements or home-builts should be trouble free.

John Warren IhazJawas /

you sure thats not a 2 speed looks like it has an oil fill plug, any updates on your project

Vlado vlado /

John, you are learning quick, but the pic was Jame's 210 2 speed, Keith's is 1 speed, that's why it is 130 model.

Keith, your bike is perfect winter project, this engine is extremely easy to rebuild.

If the rotor (magnet) is not moving but crank does when you pedaling it might be sheared pin on the crank.

Take the whole thing apart, who knows how is the clutch, seals, bearings, piston, rings, cylinder...name it.

From the pics it looks to me that small coils on stator are not Jawa original, the wiring is altered- man, plenty of work ahead.

Hungarian guy on eBay sells complete stator with all four coils and wiring, maybe you need to get it.

I have complete used air filter assembly for cheap and brand new H/T Coil, but if you need Thyristor, the same guy sells it together with H/T Coil for OK price.

He has covers too- lucky for us, Jawa owners he exists.

I do not see whether you had newer 3 prongs thyristor which combines H/T Coil or older set up with big silver coil and 4 prongs thyristor.

Go for it, welcome to under rated Jawa Club!

Vlado vlado /

I took one more look at Keith's pics and now I see there IS oil plug and the small oil level check screw- maybe it it 2 speed after all?!

Keith, could you take off right side plastic cover off and post a pic of it- there is the clutch and tranny (or not, if 1 speed) and the belt- those go bad too, I have one new if needed.

Keith Barbuti /

There is a belt in there (inside the black plastic part)

-I don't have the time to work on it so I donated it to our moped club in the hopes that more mechanically inclined members can get it running & someone else can us it & ride with us.

Thanks for all the help.

all the single speeds I have seen have an oil fill, drain, and level check screw. needs oil for the case bearings unless you run sealed back there.

100_3813.JPG
100_3812.JPG

Vlado vlado /

Man, I'll be darn, learning all the time- many variations- my 1 speed 210 from Ultrasport is OILLESS- the case is blind where oill filler and side oill level check screw and bottom drain are supposedly to be...Lubricated by fuel mix only.

Keith, I hope the club will bring it back to life- forward them our replies, OK?

Well my brother was the lucky one that got the Jawa of Keith (btw thanks Keith) so now my brother is highly motivated to start this winter project were currently looking for a reliable source of parts for it if anyone has a link or someone with parts let a fellow moped brotha know.

Vlado vlado /

there are links on this topic- go through it

I have used air filter assembly for cheap, if you want

sell the jikov carb and just get a SHA 14.12 carburetor that way you dont have to worry about the airbox and such. my 130 is oil-less too, fix it up its totally worth it

Is there any other parts on the engine that are interchangeable with the jawa from a different moped maybe even a different more modern and part friendly engine.

Vlado vlado /

to my knowledge none

Wow. Well I am looking for the ignition/ electronic for it also piston and ring maybe a head if available. My brother is looking to rebuild it.

jikov will work without the stock airbox. My bike has a valve cover breather with the flange cut off and bolted to the carb. Using a modified #70 5mm dellorto jet, needle 1 notch richer and make sure the throttle doesn't open more than wide open. Carb is bored out to 13mm from 10mm

Vlado vlado /

Erick, read all entries on this subject- all advices, links, offers we gave Keith are there, just gor through them

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account