Questions...........

Same ped, 83 QT50. Finally got it all together this warm weekend here in southwest Oklahoma and took it for a 50 mile cruise. Runs great, but still "4 strokes" some. It will cruise 22-24 easily now. But, like what Fred described in his article, if I let off the gas going wide open a little, it will smooth out, accelerate some then, 4 stroke on me again. I got a lot of throttle cable to twist, even though I've adjusted it in the most I can. It only does it when there is no strain on the engine. I mean, if I'm going up a hill, it will purr like a cat. When on level ground, it 4 strokes on me or going down a hill. One thing I've noticed, when going down a hill and this model does not have a governor on it, if I hit about 25 to 30, feels like it's going to vibrate to death.

Do you think the main jet is a tad too big? Not worry about it and have fun with it? Or try and smooth it all out. After reading different posts, seems like most "stock" peds, 49cc engines, 20 to 25 is about all you should expect. Just take my dad's saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Or could I expect more out of it without boring out the cylinders and putting new carb, and 70cc kit in it.

Really happy with it now. Got the fenders painted, put all the plastics back on it, got a battery and all the electrical is working, except the flasher on the blinkers, just do it manually.

What you ya'll do, fellow ped brethren? Assume that all is clean, carb is not clogged or dirty, good fuel flow, new plugs.....etc. etc. I mean, took all the advice from previous posts and applied them.

Re: Questions...........

Crisis--Cincinnati /

Is there an airbox? Some airboxes have restriction in them, to limit the air to the carb. Maybe try to take the restriciton off the carb, or buy one of those perfance air filters that they sell at mopedwarehouse. If the choke is part of your airbox setup, this will not work for you. Some people drill holes in there airbox, to get the right mix. Your ped will run at its peak power, if you derestrict the air flow to the carb and have a big enough jet to handle the extra air.

airbox

Choke is on the carb. Airbox has new filter on it but the air intake, I've noticed, seems to rather small, in my opinon. That's a good idea.

Re: airbox

Ron Brown /

Scott,

You say you have tried everything you have seen on here. Have you tested without the airbox?

Ron

tested

I did, but it was really cold that day. I know when it's colder, engines run leaner. But if it's 4 stroking, that would mean too rich, right????? Maybe I'll try that one more time now that the temperature has warmed up some, well, until Wednesday when it's suppose to ice up and snow.

Re: tested

Ron Brown /

Scott,

Pick the same flat stretch of road, in the same direction and compare the speed at which you 4 stroke.

Ron

Crisis--Cincinnati /

Scott, in my opinion air restriction is bad. The manufacturers do that to keep your ped from going it's actual top speed. Ask Ronnie. On his mopeds, the first thing he does is modify the airbox and rejet to get maximum power.

Chris

Ron Brown /

Chris,

This is bot a universal moped problem. Some peds have a perfectly adequate air box and filter. They are restricted by other things such as carb or intake diameter and or exhaust diameter.

The only way to know is to do the test as I described it to Scott and see what happens.

Ask me why I have not made my Batavus go any faster. : )

Ron

Thanks

Appreciate the advice. Will try that. I think after that, that is about it for the ped. If this don't work, I'll live with it. Thanks. You guys really helped me bring this dead-not-running-sitting-in-dads-garage-with-no-hope-of-running-again to life.

After riding for about two hours this weekend, forgot how much fun they are. You should see the stares from folks down here in southwest Oklahoma.

Screw them.

Re: Thanks

Ron Brown /

Scott,

Just post the results before you decide to leave it alone. We may have more questions, and answers.

Ron

Crisis--Cincinnati /

got it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account