Oil or Transmisson fluid?

Becky Rusnock /

I just recently bought 2 Yamaha Qt50s (one 1980 the other 1981) The oil for the gas is under the seat by the gas tank but on the engine there is another place to put some kind of oil or something. Someone told me it was transmisson fluid and someone else said oil. It says "oil" but I suppose this could mean either. Also there is no dip stick so I have no idea how full it is and when to add more. These bikes are in excellent condition but I did not get a manual for them. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Re: Oil or Transmisson fluid?

Crisis--Cincinnati /

If it is a screw on the side of your crank case, then you can probably bet that it is for the tranny fluid. Basically, you just fill it up until some starts to run out, or till you can see it close to the top of the hole. Some peds use transmission fluid, while others use motor oil. So....Your next question should be: What type of tranny fluid does a 80-81 Yamaha QT50 use? I don't know the anwer to that.

Chris

Crisis--Cincinnati /

I just searched this site for the answer to which oil to use in your tranny and came up with: 10W-30 for a 1980 QT50.

Crisis--Cincinnati /

If you are wondering what post I got this info from. I went to the search button, and typed in "yamaha qt50 transmission", set it to "all word", and "all dates" It was from Scott's post on 1-6-02.

All right!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another QT50 owner. I've been rebuilding mine. Got a 80 and a 83 that I've been combining. I've got the maintenance manual. That is what you need. That thing is worth it's weight in gold. Look at the different post that I put up, they are all QT50 related. I've asked the trans fluid/oil question last week. The reply, if it says oil, stick with it. Crisis was right, the transmission fluid calls for 10W30. I'm currently using Vavoline Maxlife 10W30. This stuff is designed for older engines and I've had good success on my vehicles and boat with this stuff.

If your QT's have been sitting for awhile. I'd drain the transmission fluids first, run them for awhile, drain them again. Probably got some condensation in them from sitting all these years. When you drain them, look at the oil, if it's light colored, then you got some condensation in there that is working out. There is a bolt on the bottom side of the engine that is the transmission drain. NOTE: the book calls for 300cc's, which is roughly about 1/3 quart. If they have been sitting that long, put 1/2 of the 1/3 quart of oil, the 1/2 of the 1/3, put engine flush in it. Let it run until it gets hot, then drain again and put oil back in it. Check your gas tank, might have some crud in it. I had a hard time cleaning out my tank. Those gas tanks are removable and you can take it to the car wash and blast it. Also, the oil fill in the back of the tank is 2 CYCLE ONLY.

Hey i was wondering what kind of oil/tranny fluid i sould use in my 1972 garelli

thnx

Del

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account