What carb/engine on 1988 Tomos Tanktop

I picked up that 1988 Tomos Tanktop off of the Ebay seller today...it's going to be more of a restorative project then I had hoped... besides some small things being broke or missing, like bolts and cables, etc.... right now the engine isn't running because the carb is broken,only half there and shot....gonna need another carb...

What carb will I need and where is best place to get a workable/used one ?

I figure that I'd better make sure the motor runs before I sink anymore money into it.

The old owner also put some kind of an electronic ignition on it too...not sure if that's intact / workable nor do I know yet how it is supposed to work or if it needs a battery ?

The pedals and cranks are missing , so I know I will have to get a set for it if I find a carb because I will need a pedal to try and get it started I guess.

Looks like it has an oil pre-mixer, there's an oil tank under the seat and some tubes run down to the side of the engine....

Maybe my Avanti Autopower isn't so bad a bike afterall, the Tomos seems small and tinny next to it :)

This thing doesn't have a chain either.... how many chains does the Tomos use ?

Be prepared, I guess I'll be asking alot of questions about this one ! thanks !

Re: What carb/engine on 1988 Tomos Tanktop

There is a tomos chain on ebay right now, i don't know if this will work you might want to take a look at it. search under tomos.

Reeperette /

>>What carb will I need and where is best place to get a workable/used one ?<<

DelLorto 14/12 SHA is stock with a #51 main jet.

As for getting one, check the RESOURCES section of the site, a lotta dealers carry Tomos parts....

>>The old owner also put some kind of an electronic ignition on it too...not sure if that's intact / workable nor do I know yet how it is supposed to work or if it needs a battery ?<<

Prolly why it DOESN'T work, unless they've used a Tomos CDI - and even then it might not be installed correctly.

Most A3 systems do not use a battery, they used a Voltage regulator, however.

I'd say restore it to original specs instead of tryin to mess with that.

>>The pedals and cranks are missing , so I know I will have to get a set for it if I find a carb because I will need a pedal to try and get it started I guess.<<

Easy enough to fix, and can take bicycle pedals of the right size.

>>Looks like it has an oil pre-mixer, there's an oil tank under the seat and some tubes run down to the side of the engine....<<

Yep, tis premix, but make sure it's actually workin before trying it - at this point I would disconnect the injector and premix at 43:1 (3oz per gal).

>>Maybe my Avanti Autopower isn't so bad a bike afterall, the Tomos seems small and tinny next to it :)<<

The Avanti's a great ped when the Transmission don't die, Tomos is popular cause of it's huge parts availability, ease of performance conversion, and long reliability, although other than the transmission flaws, the Avanti seems to hold it's own quite well on the durability front.

>>This thing doesn't have a chain either.... how many chains does the Tomos use ?<<

Just one, exterior...although there is a tiny one inside the transmission.

>>Be prepared, I guess I'll be asking alot of questions about this one ! thanks !<<

No problem - did you copy and print out the carb removal and replacement instructions a couple threads down ?

-R

Thanks Reep

I've decided to take this restore very slowly....I'll try to get a used carb and see if I can figure out that electronic ignition or disable it... if I disabled the electronic ignition would I have to buy a magnito or something to get a spark ?

I saw a Tomos carb on Ebay but the top black plastic piece looked different from the carb that's on there now,so maybe Tomos used different style carbs ?... so I will most likely get one at a dealer to be sure I get the right one....

thanks alot !

Reeperette /

>>if I disabled the electronic ignition would I have to buy a magnito or something to get a spark ?<<

You would need to replace the innards under the flywheel, stator plate, points, would need a condensor, I know... but that's more Rons baliwick than mine, electricals.

>>I saw a Tomos carb on Ebay but the top black plastic piece looked different from the carb that's on there now,so maybe Tomos used different style carbs ?...<<

Yep, some older ones used an Encarwi carb, the newer ones use a DelLorto carb.

Either one works, the DelLorto is easier to get parts for.

If the "black plastic piece" was round, that'd be an Encarwi.

-R

You da man, Reep !

thanks

Jimmy,

I have parts for both carbs new and used. I have both carbs complete new and used. I have crank arms on ebay all the time. I have other Tomos parts, new and used.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account