Buying a Tomos

I've got an oportunity to pick up a used Tomos - sorry, I've got no idea at this point of the exact models or years. I can get one of the pair for $150 canadian (that's like $90 US)! But my buddy will only let one of 'em go. He got them used at a flea market a couple of month back. They both run fine. My big problem is which one. I am told that one has the A5 and the other has an A3 engine. I haven't seen than to verify this yet. I have heard bad things about one of these engine model but I can't remember which one has the problems (or is that which one is quite good?). What are the prime differences between the two engines? Assuming both were in equally good shape, which would be the better engine choice? How do these compare to the A35? Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I've never had any dealings with a Tomos, just my Batavus.

Thanks.

Richard

Re: Buying a Tomos

Get the A35, it's probably newer. My buddy has the A3 and his clutch slips a lot.

Reeperette /

I would say buy the A3.

The A3 and A35 (A5) are quite similar, and many parts cross over, but time and time again experience on this forum has shown the A5 engine to be less reliable overall.

It's best to refer to the two models as A3 and A5 (aka A35) cause you tend to run into confusion problems, especially at the parts counter, with any other reference method.

The A3 has a hexagonal cylinder, and the transmission casing is less square.

The A5 has a square cylinder, and the transmission casing is more square.

Some few later A3's might have CDI ignition, but it's usually points, although it can be refitted with a CDI pretty easily.

All the A5's have CDI ignition.

Either one will mount the Amal carb, BiTurbo Exhaust, and 25/27 Tooth sprockets.

For straight dollar/resale value - on paper...the A5 is the more expensive, which would normally lead one to the conclusion that it's better, but real life shows this not to be the case.

The proportion (at least on this forum) of reported problems with the A5, versus reported problems with the A3, bears out the notion that the A3 is far more reliable and less prone to breakdown.

I've owned more than half a dozen Tomos mopeds, and have owned both engine types, and personally prefer the A3 system......and would definately suggest one consider the experiences of folks offerin advice who have only owned one Tomos product, or one engine style.

-R

You go Ree. <applause>

Hey Ree, I disagree about the CDI, the A5 also come with points too, I have 2 A5`s with points and 1 using CDI, I think both are pretty tough if properly maintained, but don`t care for the A3 carb. Hey, how did the A3/A5 combination ever turn out you was working on ? Later... Doug D.

Ree,

Thanks for all the info. This'll make my choice much easier. Reall do appreciate it

Richard

Reeperette /

>>Hey Ree, I disagree about the CDI, the A5 also come with points too, I have 2 A5`s with points and 1 using CDI, I think both are pretty tough if properly maintained, but don`t care for the A3 carb. Hey, how did the A3/A5 combination ever turn out you was working on ? Later... Doug D.<<

Heh, I take it those were early A5's - cause all the sales brochures and whatnot list CDI ignition as standard on em - either way works well enough, I just really hate tryin to clean and set points.

Not all the A3 Carbs were Encarwi's either, a lot of the later A3's used the DelLorto, and either carb will fit either one easy enough, just way harder to get jets for the Encarwis anymore.

As for the conversion, what happened was the complex I moved to would pitch a fit if they noticed we hadda vehicle that didn't run, and have a total cow if I was out there workin on it - so I hadda do the work in less time than I woulda liked.

Wound up doin the whole damn conversion in about 2 hours under dim basement lights where I could hardly see what I was doin, and without some of the tools that woulda made it a lot easier (like a friggin flywheel puller)...still, by all rights it should work, save that it did that up-and-quit on me crap again...it'll fire, got gas, compression, spark, least I can tell, but damned if it'll actually start.

So I caugh hold of Fred (whom I owe major favors for this) and had him hang on to it and mayhaps mess with it some - it works, just a matter of 'convincing' it that it does, is all.

-R

Thanks Ree, learn something all the time, it was early A5`s 93--94, also didn`t know the Dellorto would fit a A3... thats why I like this form, after you sift thru the bull crap..... like how do I put ain in my tire.... HA! (Kidding) Keep us posted on the conversion after you shake it down. Thanks Doug D.

Sprint Man /

Reeperette seems like he knows what he's talkin about.

But know this, if it's a Tomos and it hs a top gas tank, it is most likely to be a Tomos Targa LX. If it has a slanted gas tank it is most likely to be a Tomos Sprint or a Tomos Targa

Just look at the gas tank and it should give you the name

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account