1983 honda pa 50 II runs sporadically

I recently started working on a Honda PA 50-II, and i am having problems. It starts rather easily, but when you ride it, it gets about half a block and then stalls out. i then have to wait about five minutes before it will start again. If i start it on its kickstand, i can run it full throttle for a seemingly unlimited amount of time. I have cleaned the carb, replaced the exhaust with a new one, put in a new spark plug, an inline fuel filter, and cleaned the fuel pepcock. any suggestions? it has great pickup when it starts running.

RE: 1983 honda pa 50 II runs sporadically

Reeperette /

Sounds like you might be losing compression, to me.

(Had a Tomos that acted like that when the rings wore out...)

Check the cylinder head, and perhaps replace the piston rings.

Ree

It still sounds like it's starving for fuel.... even though you've already cleaned the stuff..... I'd clean them again..... you did clean out the brass jets inside the floatbowl.... right?... and the float needle and seat?

i cleaned the carb very well, it was not that dirty to begin with.. i cleaned the jets very well.

Anthony Sperling /

Believe it or not, I once had a sailboat with an 4 cylinder inboard engine that had a defective ignition condencer that would short out after the engine ran a while and the condencer got warm and the engine would die. After a suitable cool-down period, the short would end and the engine would re-start. What a bitch that problem was to identify, but only a 1 minute fix (slap in a new condencer). I suggest you try the same fix, and while you are in there, clean and gap the points and check the base engine timing.

that sounds like it would be difficult to identify.. i will check that out, along with cleaning my carb again.

thanks all of you who are helping with this.

keep the suggestions coming.

Hey, you said you replaced the sparkplug, do you remeber what color the elactrodes had? Were the dark brown, blackened, light brown or white? The color of the electrodes will tell you if the engine is running lean or rich.

no i do not remember, it had been sitting since 1991 it was a bit blackened maybe.

dan

hey man. do you have the owners manual for the honda PA 50??? i foudn one in the garbage and i need a manual. i will eithe rbuy it off of you or coulod you copy it and send it to me by mail or email?? m email is jeffurbin@mediaone.net email me

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account