moped headlamps ?

Do moped headlamps have to be special ordered, or are they available at autoparts stores or home depot kind of places ? My headlight wouldn't work this morning on my Avanti.... another thing gone wrong on it. When I get home I'll have to test it somehow to see if it is burnt out...couldn't find no loose wires and my blinkers still work.

Re: moped headlamps ?

Moped headlights go out....Not a big deal. You should take the bulb out, and take it to an autoparts store. They will most likely have a match. If not, I am sure you can get one, online from moped warehouse.

Ron Brown /

Jimmy,

If your ped is typical, if you continue to ride without the headlamp, all the other bulbs, tail lamp and speedo lamp(s), will burn out.

Ron

thanks..yes, it just went out on me this morning..... I ride to work at 5:00 am,it's still nightime out, no way I'd ride without a headlamp !!

Test it

Break out your electrical meter and see if you got a circuit going through your bulb, if you do, it ain't your bulb, would be something else. If it went kaput while you were driving, probably smoked the bulb.

SteelToad /

Why just replace the bulb ? I got tired of loosing bulbs in my Tomos (not easy to replace locally). While I was at the autozone, I turned around and looked at the auto auxiliary lights. I took two of these, mounted them together, and isolated the housing (ground negative is bad on my ped). They look cool, are brighter than the original, and change color from different angles.

Take a look <a href="http://www.mopedmagazine.com/myped">http://www.mopedmagazine.com/myped</A>;

Did that 70cc kit seize your engine steel toad?

SteelToad /

I don't think it was the kit. The kit had been on there for a while, and ran great with no problems. I took the bike completely apart for the repainting, and while it was unassembled, I tweaked and cleaned the carb etc. When I put it back together, it ran even faster than ever. I had epoxy holding the carb onto the intake (long story) and it had a crack. I think I developed an air leak, that would explain the extra boost, and perhaps why it didn't get enough oil to stop from seizing. I'm still looking for another 70cc kit.

Problem solved

Well, I got home today and broke out the electric meter..... I could get a current through the lamp prongs, so the headlamp's ok.... tried my blinkers, they work...hhmm,puzzling ... tried my horn...ah-ha ! horn's dead too !

ok, so I find the wires that are common to the horn and the headlamp, trace them back, trying to cram my big fingers into the small space where they stuff all the wiring... and tested each plastic connector in there...ha, one plastic connector that has 4 prongs seemed pretty loose...I reconnected it and, voila !, my headlamp and horn started working again......gee, wonder why I couldn't fix that on the shoulder of the road this morning at 5:00am in the complete darkness ?

Guess them engine vibrations tend to loosen things up after awhile, huh ?

Re: Problem solved

Way to go,Jimmy! A breakdown at 5 am?Scary! Do you carry a flashlight for emergency `pedding?I keep a special flashlight in my backpack which is strapped to the rear carrier.The flashlight is solar-charged and backed up by regular AA batteries.If a headlight fails you simply clip it onto the handlebars and you're off to the races again.It also has a laser blinking light on the end of it.Got 2 of `em on E-bay.

Ha, well, I carry alittle penlight flashlight in my scoot-suit in the darkness of the morning.... guess I could stick it in my mouth and pretend it's a headlamp,and try explaining that one to a cop... sounds like not a bad idea to carry an extra light that could double as a headlamp though

Yeah,Jimmy.Going on long trips all the time taught me quickly to carry extra stuff.Of course the cell phone's the most important.When you get out in the Boonies like I do a lot,you'll end up in the dark coming home sometimes.Here:s a few things I carry:20 oz.freshly filled water bottle,some snack crackers and vienna canned sausages or equiv.,maps,lighter,matches,bathroom necessities and moist towelettes,sunglasses(clip ons),sunscreen,band-aids,duct tape wrapped on a pencil,teflon tape,extra brake cable and clutch cable,solar charged flashlight with extra bulbs,spark plugs,bulbs,oil can or spray lube,shop rag,tube patch kit,extra tube,points file and fingernail emery stick,extra crank arm pin and nut....Clothing:Extra thermal top shirt,windbreaker jacket,ski mask,gloves,umbrella....Tools:Straight screwdriver for prying,swiss army knife,multi-bit screwdriver,1/4" socket set,metric,10mm wrench,adjustable wrench(6" long),VISE GRIPS!,needle nose pliers,punch for chain repair,Popeil's Pocket Fisherman(JUST KIDDIN'),CO2 tire inflator and extra CO2 cartridges,BB pistol,vial of BBs,cell phone,tiny flat blade screwdriver,and a lot of other stuff I can't think of right now.The tools that are small are carried in the vinyl tool bag on the handlebars along with the cell phone and BB gun.The larger stuff goes in the bottom of the backpack that is strapped around the rear carrier.If needed,I can extend the trombone slide of the rear carrier and put on an extra backpack,with ease.Tghere's probably another 5 or 10 lbs. of stuff I didn't think to list,but these are the most important.Haven't altered my bread bags yet,but when I do they'll be hanging on the sides of the rear carrier.Whew!

These lights are not commonly available. They will have to be ordered from a moped store.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account