oil/trans fluid

Saw that thread a minute ago...... I have read a lot lately about how some peds require different "transmission" fluid. Since all peds are two cycle, the "transmission" fluid is actually that, transmission fluid and not crankcase fluid. Soooooooo, wouldn't it be safer to say the hell with the manual says and put some good transmission fluid in there instead of 10W30, like my Yam. 83 book says on my ped???? Transmission fluid is easier on delicate metal parts. Have you ever seen the inside of a GM 350 Turbo automatic transmission? All kinds of little delicate stuff in there. I mean, the big three don't EVER suggest putting motor oil in their transmissions.

Just wondering. The maintenance manual on my 83 Yam. says put 10W30, I did, but I just don't like it one bit.

Re: oil/trans fluid

Ron Brown /

Scott,

GM also wants 90weight in their manual transmissions, you want to put transmission fluid in there?

The fluid required is designed into the original machinery. Type of clutch friction material, pressure on gear teeth etc.

Hell, even ford and GM use different trans fluid so which one are you going to pick.

Follow the manual, follow the manual, follow the manual!

Ron

Hi,Scott! I would be afraid to go against the manual as far as viscosity is concerned.I always err to the heavier side when gears are involved.A 10W30 or 20W motor oil is going to give you far superior protection for those spur gears and driven gears which take a pounding in a `ped.The clutches are designed for that weight oil too.The only thing I've ever done to improve protection is to use 20W50 Exxon synthetic in the summer and I've seen marked improvement in the noise level of the tranny and no ill effects.But where Tomos and Puch say use Dexron III or Type F I would probably just use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.I use synthetic because of it's unbeatable resistance to thermal viscosity breakdown,and those `ped trannies get really hot sometimes.

One reason I asked this question is that after I put 300 ml of 10W30 in it, or roughly 1/3 quart, I still hear some squeaking coming from the trans. area. I know it's not coming from the heads or pistons, definently from the trans. area. It does it when in idle, not when cruising. I put a little more than the recommended amount in it, but was thinking maybe the 10W30 is not offereing enough protection and I should switch gears to a better type of lubrication. Using Vavoline Max Life 10W30, which I've had great success with on my three other vehicles and my inboard Mercruiser boat engine (well lthat gets 20W50 racing oil). I know if I overfill it, it will cause more pressure and may bust some seals up or not allow the engine to get max RPM. Don't know where the happy medium is.

The ped had set since 1985. Have already drained the trans. fluid twice and the fluid looks pretty bad when I drain it. May have some crud in it. What if I put some trans. flush (basically diesel fluid) in it, run it for a few minutes to loosen up the crud, then drain. Think it would help???

Ron Brown /

Scott,

I would just keep changing the correct oil often until it clears up, then maybe use synthetic per Don's recommendation.

Ron

Scott,if it were mine,I'd take the cover off and look in there for a good idea of how much more is in there.I'm a believer in physically removing dirt first,and then spraying it out with carbcleaner while avoiding the seals.When you're satisfied you've gotten the dirt mostly out,then run 10W30 motor oil and see how it looks when it drains out.BUT if it's a bear to take the cover off of it,you could use half motor flush and half 10w30 for about a 10 minute run on the bike stand.Then drain it out and re-fill.Doesn't that bike have a variator,and if so,couldn't it just be the variator squeaking?You see,when motor oil sits as long as that has,some of the oiling holes or slots can gum up and not let fresh oil reach a bearing or shaft.I have literally had to take a drill bit and poke into holes with it to allow the oil to get where it's supposed to go.But that was on machinery,not moped trannies.

Educate me, what is a variator????

A variable diameter pulley which changes diameters by spring loaded weights pulling by centrifugal force and causing the sheave to squeeze together,making the pulley diameter larger and increasing the gear ratio to higher if the Variator is mounted on the front and not the rear wheel.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account