mopeds in winter

onfire4Him /

I was interested in finding out how many people ride their moped all winter... compared to those who store it.

I will be riding all winter... I need to get to work and all I have is my moped. Besides, I love it and I love how everyone thinks I'm crazy so even if I didn't have work I'd still ride. I don't like taking ten minutes to get all suited up, though. Plus My face gets really cold. Too bad I don't have a full face helmet. Oh well.

The guy who stole Jon's moped was doing crazy things in a feild... I could tell by the tracks. Moped donuts or something equivelent.

But do those who care about their mopeds ride it through winter? Is it a really bad idea... mechanically?

Re: mopeds in winter

hey! i plan on rockin' it all winter... no cold stops me. thats what mittens and scarves (scarfs!?) are for... haha

however, i live in cincinnati and the winter here is rather mild...

i cant wait to go "snow-pedding" after the first big fall... but i think a helmet IS a good idea.. especially in snowy condiitons... i need to get one of those...

casey

onfire4Him /

yeah... most of the time my nose starts to run and then my scarf is not so pleasant by the time I take it off. :P

I mope all winter long. However, I am in N. Georgia and, while we do have the occasional snow, and rainy days (like today), so far it has been a very mild winter. Yesterday was sunny and mid-50's.

onfire4Him /

it's been hangin around 30 here, and there have been a few snows. (I'm in Hamilton, Ontario)

All they time.

But here in Southern California car drivers turn to idiots the first time it rains!

It was a cool 62 degrees today. Two weeks ago we were near 80.

Jim

Haven't you guys heard of a BALACLAVA?

They pull down over your head and they have an opening for your eyes. They're

made thin enough so that you can still fit a helmet on. Motorcyclists have

been using them for winter riding for a long time...On a motorcycle you're

going twice as fast as a moped so if you think it's cold on a 'PED then

try doubling the speed (Pushes the windchill factor down considerably)...

You can find BALACLAVAs at http://www.denniskirk.com for a source.

Keeps your nose and ears from freezing solid...A definite must buy for

serious winter riding...

Jesus Nut /

The only thing more fun than mopeding is snow-peding. To do a moped donut, lift up the back end and give it the throttle (your moped probably doesn't have enough torque to get the back wheel spinning if you don't do this), and then let it down and lean sideways a bit and turn. Stick your foot out so you don't fall over.

i would be ridin my ped but its getting painted, not a hole lot of snow has fallen here in hamilton ontario, most of it melts before it hits the ground

My targa has enough torque to smoke up the tires by holding the front break, and giving it throttle gradually

onfire4Him /

YOU LIVE IN HAMILTON TOO??

Where? Why haven't I seen you around?

Jesus Nut /

What part of hamilton do you live in and what kind of moped?

I actually live in Dundas, right now im getting it repainted, its a red Garelli, i havent been riding it around much, i have been trying to get my other ped fixed

We ride all winter unless it drops below 50, then we go indoors and wait for spring.

Zippy, in Northern California

Sprint Man /

Sorry guys, but I've kept my ped inside (for a while atleast). I've been working on it and making some adjustments. I do love it, that's why I keep it inside the warmness and take care of it

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account