Horn kills ignition

I've got my Eagle III running great now and all the lights work and everything however, when I blow the horn it grounds out the ignition! I don't use the horn much but I was wondering what the problem is. Looking at the wiring diagram it seems like there is a diode that could be causing the problem. The horn does sound although not very loud.

Thanks,

Paul

RE: Horn kills ignition

Does that moped come with a battery?..... If it does the battery is probably dead and the electrical system can't put out enough juice to power everything at once without the battery to help it.... If you really want the horn to work while the lights and engine are running then you will have to buy a new battery.... I don't like batteries (they always end up dead.....$) so I just wouldn't use the horn.

RE: Horn kills ignition

Don't know about your Eagle but the same thing happens on my 20 year old PUCH MAXI. I have found that this is because the wire to the horn has come somewhat loose. Pulling over and turning the front wheel to the right to give enough room to push the connection further into the horn recepticle has always remedied the situation for me. I kind of like the way the button kills the engine though, as when I come upon a bunch of girls and jiggle the thing it makes a sputtering, stalling sound that always gets them to turn and smile so I can wave back. At my age (57) I need all the help I can get. Good luck.

RE: Horn kills ignition

It sounds to me like you've got some wires crossed, I think you've got the horn hooked up to the condensor (also called capacitor) at the ignition. If you drain power from the condensor it will not charge and the sparkplug will not receive any spark at all, you will however power the horn.

You should connect one wire of the horn switch/button with the posotive pole on the battery and the other to the horn, the second wire from the horn should be grounded or connected to the negative pole on the battery.

The diode is not the problem, the diode sits between the ignition coils and the posotive pole on the battery to convert the alternate current coming from the coils. Alternate current has a positive pulse followed by a negative pulse, the positive pulse will charge the battery and the negative pulse will drain it, the diode blocks out the negative pulses, but not the positive pulses.

Fred mentions that batteries always die out. Diodes lose their function over the years, you should replace a diode for a new one if it's older than 10 years. Acid batteries are always a problem, the water in wich the acid is dissolved will vapourize and so the acid level will drop, if this happens the battery will store less power and and will not charge propperly, you have to check the acid level regularly and, if needed, fill it up with destilled water only. If you use normal water the acid will get contaminated and the battery will perform even worse than it did before. You could also replace the battery for a solid leadbattery, they last longer, charge better and you'll never have to check the acid level, a lead battery costs about twice as much as an acid battery but will last much longer and save you a lot of trouble.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account