idles then dies

VespaCIAO /

My 1977 Honda Express will start (after 5,000,000,000 tries) and will idle for a while then die, if i take it off choke or increase the throttle it will die. What could be the prob? How could I fix it...any info is greatly apprec.

VespaCIAO

Re: idles then dies

Ron Brown /

Vespa,

First off, I've told you a million times not to exagerate. : )

How long has this being happening? Give us some history.

Ron

Ron Brown /

Vespa,

First off, I've told you a million times not to exagerate. : )

How long has this being happening? Give us some history.

Ron

I have a 1980 express. The same thing used to happen to me. You have way to much air coming into your carb. You have to adjust the 2 mixture screws on your carb. until the problem stops. I had to turn my air intake screw(the bottom one) in, which restricted air into the carb. This is why when your choke is on, it will run. Because the choke is blocking some of the air.

Brian

VespaCIAO /

My carb has three screws, one on the float bowl, and two beside each other. What are these for? Should the line out of the floatbowl be attached to anything? Should it leak?

Thanks

VespaCIAO

VespaCIAO /

Ron, I just caught your joke on exaggeration. :) A 'lil slow tonight. I havent ridden it for a week or so and It had been doin fine since then. I just aquired the moped a month or so ago and rode it hard, daily till about a week ago. I tried to start it yesterday and this began.

Thanks

VespaCIAO

Three screws....... the bottom one is on your float bowl, this allows you to drain the gas that sits in your bowl. Sometimes they get water, dirt, crud, etc. etc... periodically you want to drain it. The other two screws next to each other.... one should be bigger than the other. The bigger one is probably your idle speed adjustment screw..... lets you set the idle RPM. You set this ONCE your engine has warmed up. Usually about two full turns from the fully "in" position. The other screw is your fuel/air mixture. Adjusts you fuel to air ratios. This only works in IDLE positions. It won't do JACK when your on the road.

In your case, this is what I'd do. Pull the carb, check the bowl, needle valve and both jets, pilot and master. Clean them. Clean the choke part of the carb too.

Second, pull the gas line off and make sure it's clean. Also, pull the petcock off the fuel tank and clean it as well. While your at it, go buy a inline filter that is clear and place it on the gas line somewhere that you can easily see. Also, take the bowl off the bottom of the petcock and clean it. Check and make sure that the rubber washers inside the petcock are not rioting.

Sounds like your not getting enough fuel to your carb.

Ron Brown /

Vespa,

Listen to Scott...and...before you remove the two screws with springs on them, for cleaning. Turn them in until they lightly seat and record the turns so that you have a good starting point after you reassemble.

Ron

And if all else fails, check the spark plug. I did all that Scott suggested on my 69 Honda PC50, then found the plug carbonized. Replaced it and it's been starting right away even after sitting for a couple of months outside.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account