Moped Stereo??

Wayne Broderick /

I can't believe no one else is posting about this! I had a honda express, 1978 (nc50) and I put a small wheelchair battery (10 amp hours @ 12v) and a car stereo with two brackett speakers. The moped was only 6v so I had to bring a battery-- It died (the NC50 not the stereo) so I broke down and bought a new Tomas Bullet. It's in the mail now,

I put the battery and stereo in a pannier pack which fit nicely on the express.

I don't want to overload the Tomas Bullet's system by running a 12v stereo off it. Has anyone else put a stereo on their moped??

I also have air horns which I plan on installing on the new ped.

RE: Moped Stereo??

Very neat idea. If you tried to install a cd player, would the vibration make the cd skip ?

Wayne Broderick /

Yes, CD player would probably skip-- but the new Mp3 players don't skip at all-!

Interesting.......... I'll have to look into that.

Simon King /

you might be able to get a cd player to not skip - they have some with 50 second anti-shock now. i banged it until the cd actually stopped spinning, and it dind't skip a beat.

minidisks are also really good when it comes to antiskip, and they're just fun in general.

Wayne Broderick /

Enough about Anti-skip--- I'm more interested in different ways people have put stereos on mopeds. I'm going to put one on my new 2000 tomas targa-- I think the 12v system should support it. if I get a small amp and efficient bracket mount speakers I should be able to put out a lot of noise. I found that with an EQ I could filter out the heavy bass and 'thick' midrange- This made small speakers perform really well without blowing or clipping or distorting. I got good results when I was only on a mountain bike. Now that I've got a moped I want to get some better equipment. The battery I got from a battery dealer (12v gel cel), but the radio and speakers I got at "xtra' mart or whatever for like 30 bucks.

Also, if this ped has 12v then I should be able to run a 12v compressor and an x-tra loud air horn. At one point I had the battery in a pannier pack on my mountain bike and rigged a button next to my shifter. A small hose and wire to the pannier pack and a few pull-ties and I had a mountain bike with a stereo and air horns.

The drawback was that the battery, stereo, speakers, brackets, wires and clamps added a lot of weight. It got so I didn't notice it after a while. A friend tried it and even in the easy gear he was un-impressed with the added weight.

My new project is to put an air horn and nice stereo on the tomas. The pannier pack will sit on the rear rack. I won't need a battery That means I will be able to put a nicer, larger automotive speaker on the rear rack facing upward (the pannier pack hangs to the side) a high powered bracket mount speaker up front will provide me with a nice stereo effect.

Depending on the way I mount the speakers I may or may not use weatherproof or waterproof speakers. The ultimate system will be when I have quality, waterproof outdoor speakers fastened safely with the wires concealed and connected to a waterproof pannier pack with a compressor (for the air horn) a small amp and a decent stereo. I keep the bike indoors and I don't plan on riding in the rain but I want to build it sturdy and "tight" anyway.

Please give me input-- I would assume that out in california or florida that this would be a common thing.

Keep us posted, I'd like to see how you make out.

Just be doubly careful about theft.... some lowlife will hear that stuff and follow you to see if he can have a moped with a stereo on it.

Wayne Broderick /

We live in Portland, Maine... I haven't run into any big problems with people trying to unbolt my speakers or anything....

I work at a big company, so no one will steal the 'ped at work, but if I go into school or to visit friends I plan on using a 'U' and a cable.

A big part of the design has always been the removability-- I didn't want to get left out when people hit the trails on mountain bikes. That's why I went with the pannier pack and bracket mount speakers... I could pull off everything but a couple of brackets and wires in a couple minutes and it went back on just as quick.

I'll use that same design concept when I convert it to the new ped-- I always think how I can make it ''quick remove".

I think that having a 12v air horn will be a lifesaver to wake up ignorant drivers. I'll get a nice chrome one and conceal the air tube and compressor.

I will keep you posted and as soon as the 'ped arrives and is ready (by next friday the 11th at the latest) Pics will soon follow!!

I DID IT, last summer i sucessfully hooked a stereo up to my 82 urban express, i have since then upgraded to a 88 elite, and the stereo hasd also upgrades, the origional was a very simple, weak contraption, but i am now running a 40wt 2 channel amp (20/chan)(stored under seat) and (2)6.5" 3 way speakers(conceled in a lockable box, which rests on rear luggage rack...as a head unit i just use a portable cd player(40 sec skip, have not problems with skipping)..i just ran a y adaper from the output on the port to the left and right RCA's on the amp...the only problem i had was the blue remote wire, i had no idea where to connect that bad buy to bc i wasnt using a head unit (deck) so i just ran it to my headlight, which is running only when the bike is running, it works but it kinds sucks when i just wanna turn the key and listen, but it keeps my battery from dying...i could only imagine how fist it would die w/o the alternator running...i dad a pr of AUX lights on it and w/o the engine running they lights wouldent run for more than 5 min, lol...have fun, lemme know how this turns out

WiiLL

Will5502@aol.com

Jon Lewis /

Use sadle bags. Not only do they just clip onto the sides, but they can conseal alot of equipment.

Reeperette /

Dunno about Stereos, i just bungeed a boombox to the back of my Tomos Bullet, as far as that went - but at one time i had a CB with PA system, mounted the speaker in between the plastic panels (it was a top-tank model, mind) under the fuel tank...was hard finding a loud PA-type speaker that small, but a round trip of the local junkyards did turn one up.

Oh the fun you can have with an earpiece/miked CB/PA on a 'ped, too...specially giving the obnoxious fourwheeler who just cut you off an earful....

Ree.

Reeperette /

Dunno about Stereos, i just bungeed a boombox to the back of my Tomos Bullet, as far as that went - but at one time i had a CB with PA system, mounted the speaker in between the plastic panels (it was a top-tank model, mind) under the fuel tank...was hard finding a loud PA-type speaker that small, but a round trip of the local junkyards did turn one up.

Oh the fun you can have with an earpiece/miked CB/PA on a 'ped, too...specially giving the obnoxious fourwheeler who just cut you off an earful....

Ree.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account