wants to start but doesnt

matt cincy /

this is a garreli ss xl wants to run but something is not letting it. its getting a spark the carb is clean and we dont know what else to do any suggestions?

Re: wants to start but doesnt

take off your exhuast pipe... if it will run with it off your probly clogged with carbon build up. also give it alot of gas while trying to turn it over then take out the plug to see if the tip might e a little wet. if so you know your geting gas where it should be.

thats my two cents worth

:0)

Clean your exhaust dude. That has to be it! You've checked everything else.

Matt-Cincy /

tried it without the pipe on even im just gonna junk it

Matt-Cincy /

i followed everything in freds hints and still not getting anything it seems like the ped really wants to start though. not sure whatelse can be done

Don't junk a perfectly good moped matt! It can't be anything major. It turns over, and you've got a spark. Did you follow Fred's step by step guide? If not and you are giving up, you are just one lazy beotch! :) Word.

Chris

InfectedBootSector /

Dude... send it my way.. I'll fix her...

Are you sure it is good gas?

Matt-Cincy /

gas is good 50 to 1 im at my wits freaking end

Ron Brown /

Matt,

How about giving us some details.

Is the plug getting wet?

Does it ever fire?

How does the compression feel?

Want's to start and doesn't is a little vague.

Ron

Matt-Cincy /

it feels like it is getting compression the first few times we try and then not so much. the plug is getting wet with what im not sure of . i take it that that is a good sign. we had it idleing today for about two min. and once we let the throttle off just alittle it would die. we checked the gap several times and that seems to be good at .030 should the tranny fluid have anything to do with it? the throttle thing on the side of the carb is of maybe off how do i get that right. its almost there just alittls something and its good to go.

thanks matt

Matt-Cincy /

got it ruunin sweet

InfectedBootSector /

Sounds like carb problems to me... even if it is clean, you may not be getting the correct ratio of gas to air... when the plug gets wet, is it really wet? How clean is your air filter? Your exhaust check out ok, so I would start with the carb.... try misting a little 50-1 in the plug hole and see if it runs a few seconds more...

Ron Brown /

Matt,

From your post and email, I have the impression your ped is now running, but not idling. Just to get it out of the way, WHY? If the people who ask for help on the forum never report on the solution, none of us gets any smarter and we need all the help we can get.

I am not familiar with your carb, if it has a mixture and an idle screw, you need to find the starting position for the mixture screw, if not, the idle speed screw should take care of it unless you have some plugged idle passages in the carb.

On your other questions in your email, you got me? The advantage of posting questions like this on the forum is that a bunch of people will read them and you stand a chance of getting a range of answers.

No one person knows everything about everything, except me, of course, but what I know about transmission oil and headlamps has temporarily slipped my mind. : )

Post questions and ye shall recieve answers. (that's my Sunday bit) : )

Ron

lll

We got it running but what kind of tranny oil do we put in it.I heard to use SAE 30 W Is that right just making sure me and matt thank you

matt cincy /

not sure why it started we sprayed some starter fluid in the intake and it was almost starting like that . so we put the carb back on and she started. but the idle is messed up it dies if you quit givin it gas. thanks for all the tips everyone

matt

Ron Brown /

Matt,

Thanks for the update. There should be a screw in the side of the carburetor with a tapered tip that lifts the slide enough to give you a good idle. If you have another screw a little lower and off to the side, it is an idle mixture screw and you can try turning it to smooth out the idle.

Ron

Matt-Cincy /

not sure what your talking about with the screws that is there is one screw with a spring under it ive tighted all the way and the unscrewed alittle at a time and it still dies.could it be anything else. its a 78 maybe i should replace something not sure what though :D

Ron Brown /

Matt,

Look at this screw and figure out if it is an idle speed or mixture screw. See my previous post.

Ron

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account