Equality...

Michael Bryant /

Does everyone on this site see Mopeds and Scooters as being equal? I see them as the same thing, and just wanted to get some opinions....

Ride or Die.....

Ride, and Let Ride....

-Mike-

Re: Equality...

Scooters and mopeds are equally wheeled.(at least in number)

But aren't the same thing and not equal in many respects. First of all scooters usually have larger engines than mopeds, and tend to be faster. Also you need a license to drive a scooter but not one to drive a moped. Mopeds are slower than scooters and many have larger wheels than most scooters to take advantage of the pedals when you have to use them. Mopeds because of their smaller engines also get better gas mileage. It depends on what you need or want to decide what is better though.

SteelToad /

They are equal, the same way cars are equal to trucks (not)

Moped vs. Scooter

Do a forum search for "moped vs. Scooter"

Scooters are belt driven and have floorboards. Mopeds do not have floorboards and are chain driven.

Mopeds, (stock) come in ONLY one CC (49/50) scooters come in 250, 150, 500cc (as well as 50cc)

You won't find a new "moped" with a 100cc engine. It's safe to say that if your bike has a chain, and came 'stock' at 50cc, it's a moped.

I personally don't think that the pedals determine "moped or not".

A moped with no pedals is still a moped. You can tell by the wheel size, styling, and design.

I had a Targa. It had no pedals, but I'm certain it was a moped.

For quick reference, if it's similar to an ugly snail, it's probably a scooter.

If it's a nice looking machine, you've got yourself a moped.

Or, for the whole "skinny" do a search in an encyclopedia or dictionary and check the respective entries-- there is a difference, at least according to Britannica.

Cheers!

Re: Moped vs. Scooter

The way I see it, if it has pedals, its a moped. If it looks like a moped, but is missing the pedals, it's a noped. mo=motor ped=pedals. noped=no pedals. :) Some states even require the bike to have pedals, to be considered a moped. As far as scooters and mopeds being equal, it depends what you mean by equal, because they are completely different. Equally cool? In my opinion, no. But that doesn't mean that I hate scooters, I just prefer mopeds.

Michael Bryant /

yea, i didnt realy want facts, i wanted personal opinions to see if there is a war Moped VS. Scooter.....

i drive an '86 Honda spree, wich as you all know is a scooter, but when riding with moped friends, there is no discrimination......Chris wrote:

>

> The way I see it, if it has pedals, its a moped. If it looks

> like a moped, but is missing the pedals, it's a noped.

> mo=motor ped=pedals. noped=no pedals. :) Some states even

> require the bike to have pedals, to be considered a moped.

> As far as scooters and mopeds being equal, it depends what

> you mean by equal, because they are completely different.

> Equally cool? In my opinion, no. But that doesn't mean that

> I hate scooters, I just prefer mopeds.

Michael, Did you supply my post in your response because you are pissed at me, or are you just saying that my post was the kind of response that you wanted? I think scooters are fun to ride. Mopeds are the best though!

I think the greatest deciding difference between a moped and a scooter is that the people at the DMV know how to process a scooter. Most of them (for the most part) have got "NO" idea as to what they should do when a moped crosses their desk.

Richard

They are not equal except some scooters have a 50 cc engine.

If they were the same thing why would they have two different names? Should we call all scooters mopeds or all mopeds, scooters? Why not call them both motorcycles, you know, big ones and little ones, or maybe call them 2 wheeled cars or non flying airplanes or non water boats or 2 wheeled tri cycles or 4 wheel drive mopeds?

State and federal laws mandate what is legally a moped or motorized bicycle.

must have pedals that make it capable of being self propelled

cannot exceed 50 cc

cannot exceed 2 HP

must be automatic shift

cannot exceed 30 mph top speed

these are the legal requirements, some states will let you get by with all the above and waive the pedals. Tomos has models with and without pedals. Some mopeds exceed 30 mph stock or so thier owners claim.

I think is the issue is the discussion forum gets to cluttered up with scoot questions if it becomes a moped/scooter forum.

I think mopeders are purists that like to tinker and like the challange of taking something that doesn't work and meeting the challange to make it work. Scooters like to jump on their scooters, turn the key punch the electric start and roar off into the night with their blinkers blinking. If their scooter breaks they take it to a dealer and then whine about how the dealer ripped them off.

my 2 cents

anyway have fun on your ride.

Wow you're correct about the last part!

Except for those people who own the "rare" bikes (they're not really rare, they're just not Italian.) But this is probably because there aren't any dealers who have engine parts in stock for a Rabbit superflow - and this is what dissuades "scooter people" from what might possibly be the best scooter ever produced. It's their loss. Or what about some of the German makes? Most dealers won't service or carry parts for these. I guess it comes at the difference between Scooter people, and scooter enthusiasts. Bob wrote:

> I think mopeders are purists that like to tinker and like the

> challange of taking something that doesn't work and meeting

> the challange to make it work. Scooters like to jump on their

> scooters, turn the key punch the electric start and roar off

> into the night with their blinkers blinking. If their scooter

> breaks they take it to a dealer and then whine about how the

> dealer ripped them off.

ride whatever you want. if youre an ok person, i'll ride w/ you even if you're on a scooter. if you're an asshole, i won't ride w/ you even if you're on a moped. is that what you were asking?

oh, yeah ... i still prefer mopeds as my personal choice. and by that i mean italian mopeds, of course!

That's the answer I was looking for.

Bob wrote:

>

> If they were the same thing why would they have two different

> names? Should we call all scooters mopeds or all mopeds,

> scooters? Why not call them both motorcycles, you know, big

> ones and little ones, or maybe call them 2 wheeled cars or

> non flying airplanes or non water boats or 2 wheeled tri

> cycles or 4 wheel drive mopeds?

that is, by far, some of the funniest shit i have ever read... ahahha...

and i totally agree... =]

as far as personal opinion, they are two completely different animals... and nothing fumes me up more than someone advertising a "moped" for sale, only to find out it is a scooter...

I'd add my opinion on scooters but it's a little severe...so I'll refrain :-)

Yeah.... and I get pissed when I run a search for " scooter" and I get a million urls referring to stupid skateboard things or worse yet, Goddam wheelchair vehicles !

Michael Bryant /

now everyones gettin outta hand.......

I have a scooter, but i dont go to, or even know of any dealers that have parts for an 86 Spree.... I ride with Mopeds and scooters alike... We all work on our bikes/scooters on our own and help each other....you guys just discriminating against scooters for stupid reasons...... We are the 49cc-Clan and we will terrorize your mothers grandmothers.......

-Mic-

Ron Brown /

Michael,

There never used to be any animosity toward scooters on this site until we learned that everyone who rides one want's to terrorize our mother's grandmothers. : )

Ron

hehe....Good one Ron.

Michael Bryant /

LOL @ Ron...

As I said, i am one of only 2 scooters in the group, the rest are mopeds.......

Re:Not quite Equality...

When I think of scooters I think of Cushmans, low slung, step thru vehicles that are a faster than mopeds but slower than motorcycles, Mopeds are motorized bicycles, even though the majority of them don't look like this.

Re:Not quite Equality...

my mother's grandmother is long dead.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account