puch boggs at full throttle......

Hello everyone!. Im working on a 77 Puch Newport my girl just acquired. Everything went fine getting it to run but at full throttle she boggs down and wants to die out. We cleaned the carb, and the filters but still good. Any ideas????

Thanks!! Matt

Re: puch boggs at full throttle......

Did you check to make sure that your choke slide is moving all of the way up? Give the black stick a little tug, to make sure. The choke plate is notched a certain way, and if you don't have it right, the slide won't catch it, and pull it up. If the choke isn't all of the way up it could cause power loss, and maybe if you started going fast, the vibration could make it drop down, and choke you out. Just a thought...

Chris

I had the same problem. Take off your exhaust and try starting it up then. If it runs great then your exhast pipe is clogged.

That's a good suggestion John.

XBrandon EdgeX /

I have a puch that was doing the same thing. The problem was that I didn't have the hose or restrictor plug on the airbox and it was getting too much air and not enough fuel. I didn't have an airbox hose or plug, so I covered about half the inlet hole on the airbox with electric tape, and it ran great. It's no permanent fix, though.

Ron Brown /

Matt,

It should be clear by now that a number of things can cause this problem.

The first thing to do is figure out if it is too much or too little gas causing the problem.

When it bogs, try adding a little choke. If it improves, it is too lean.

If this is hard to do, turn off the gas while riding at max speed. If the ped speeds up just before it runs out of gas, you are too rich.

Let us know.

Ron

Good deal! Thanks guys! Looks like now I got something to do for the day. I'll post again after I try some suggestions. Ride on, Matt

All right it worked!! We covered the intake up about half way cause we were running with out an air filter. Worked like a charm! Stopped boggin down got all sorts of power now. One prob tho........what does the filter look like???? We have one but it doesnt quite seem to fit right. When we got the bikes it was just thrown in with two other part bikes. Any one got a pic??? but anyway.......thanks a bunch!!!!! be talkin w/ you all soon..........Matt n Barb

XBrandon EdgeX /

The filter is made up of several metal screens stacked on top of each other. they're about an inch and a half tall and maybe a quarter of an inch thick.

if it bogs it means you eaither have too much gas or too much air so check the choke like he said and then check the main jet size.

InfectedBootSector /

PaMatt...are you from PA? (I'm assuming so by the name...)

I have tons of exp. with Puch's... let me know if I can help...

I'm in MD... maybe we are close?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account