I figured out what happened. When I took this engine apart I marked the cam and the chain where they went together. I would not be turning the engine over at all. That way I could put it back together exactly at the same timing spot. Sounds good right? Well if I had kept constant tension on the cam chain my idea would have worked. But I tied a wire around the chain and let it droop down in its slot. What I didn't realize is that it came off its sprocket in the case! I put the cam back in and put the chain on the cam with the marks lined up thinking I was good to go but the chain did not go back on the lower sprocket exactly where it had came off!
I figured this out because today I looked down through the hole in the side of the cylinder into the case and noticed the cam chain was off its sprocket. The only way I could get it back on was to remove the cylinder ...which I was hoping I wouldn't have to do. Now that I have the cylinder off I figure I might as well have it bored .0020 over and get a new piston, rings, wrist pin and clips. That'll give me a completely new top end.
I called Helminc and my manual is on its way ...I'm gonna need it! :)