identify a chain

Bought a chain on ebay. It was not the Puch chain as advertised. The seller will make good. However, I would like to identify the moped (if it is a moped chain) it goes with. The chain is heavier than a puch chain, it has 96 links, it has no removable link, there are 12 links per 6.25 inches and the length (width of the chain) is ,505 inches. If anyone has a clue TYIA..

Re: correction

Should read length of the rivets (width of the chain) is .505 inches

Re: identify a chain

Ron Brown /

Ken,

To measure a chain:

Distance between rivets, center to center (pitch)

Length of roller, distance between inner sides of inner links (width)

Diameter of rollers.

For all the chains I have ever measured, these dimentions are in fractional/inch dimentions, not metric. For instance, a 520 motorcycle chain has a pitch of 5/8" and a width of 1/4". The rollers are 3/8" diameter.

Post these measurements for your chain.

Ron

Re: more measurements

3/8 inches inside of narrow links;

roller diameter 5/16 inch;

roller length 3/8 inch;

distance frome rivet to rivet ~1/2 inch, actually slightly more, hence the 12 links per 6.25 inches. This is where it comes out even.

Re: more measurements

Ron Brown /

Ken,

This is a really strange chain to me. A 530 chain such as used by my Honda 500/4 and lots of other motorcycles up to more that 1000 ccs, is only 3/8" wide, although 5/8 pitch.

I think the numbers (520, 420, etc.) are Reynolds numbers, developed by the Reynolds company who seem to have been a standard in chains and are usually used to designate chains used on motorcycles and other high speed applications.

Small motorcycle chains, and bicycle chains, are all 1/2" pitch with widths up to 5/16" (428).

The measurements you have make no sense to me, especially the pitch, as it does not even translate successfully to a metric measurement. Are you sure you are measuring from center to center of the rivets?

In any event, this chain appears to be wider than any "standard" 1/2" pitch motorcycle chain.

There is a different range of chains available for machinery, farm, industrial, snow blowers etc., possibly it is for one of these applications.

Are there any markings on the side plates of the links?

Ron

Re: marking on chain

All I see on the chain is TAIWAN on some links and KMC on others

Re: marking on chain

Ron Brown /

Ken,

Unless someone else comes up with an idea of what it fits, return it.

Ron

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account