mystery moped.

To call it a moped wouldn't be entirely correct, but it has pedals and a small displacement motor. Can anyone guess what it is? (the company that made the engine and other mechanical parts- excluding frame is still around).

mstry1.jpg

Re: mystery moped.

It has pedals and and a motor, so a MO-PED it is.

Who knows who, where, and when this was made?

Jim

Do all old peds have that type of "kick stand". In this case not a kick stand, but I am not sure what to call it.

Re: Rear stand

This type of stand was used instead of a centerstand.

Some time back there was a book written about How to Restore your Harley. I knew the guy didn't know what he was talking about when he said to reassemble the bike by putting the frame on a crate and start bolting stuff to it. Then after you have the engine and trans in place, put on the rear wheel and front end and get help to take the bike off the crate.

WRONG.

First thing you put on the frame is the rear stand. With the frame now supporting itself, roll the front end into place. Add the rear wheel: Voila! Instant Rolling Chassis!

Jim

Re: mystery moped (hint)

The company that made this moped is still around today and is making motorcycles. They are well known for their motorcycles, although I do not believe they are still in the moped business.

HONDA??

its hondas first vehicle.....

its hondas FRIST bike, either named Diamond free or Power free depending on the year.

If you guessed Honda...

Your wrong. It's not even Japanese- and it was made no where near Japan.

Re: its hondas first vehicle.....

Please note the Diamond Free and Power Free where not honda products, but were made by suzuki, but thats o.k. this bike is niether.

Re: Puch?

Looking closly at the engine you will notice it has two exhaust ports

Could this be a predecesor to the famous "Twingle" motorcycle of the 50's and 60's??

Jim

Nope not a puch.

gimmyjimmy /

Singer......Triumph...?????

cmon Ryan, gimmy another hint.

They are known for making sport bikes today, it's the kind of bike rich yuppie kids would love to ride and show off (despite the fact that their parents payed for it)

And the most obvious hint: You can't spell education without it!

Re: Of course!

Moto-Guzzi! ;)

Jim

Re: Of course!

Nope- look at the hints given to gimmyjimmy under Puch and it'll be so obvious you'll get it.

gimmyjimmy /

Ducati, cool hint..

lets play again.

gimmyjimmy

gimmyjimmy /

forgot to ask for the year, Ryan

And the boy wins a cigar...

It's ducati, made in the early fifties, model cucciolo. Interesting machine, you could buy the whole thing, or just the engine to bolt to a normal bicycle, which resulted in a unsafe machine.

Re: mystery moped.Answer

This moped is a Ducati cucciolo. gimmyjimmy guessed the company right.

This information is from "The Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle" by Peter Henshaw. "The Cucciolo (puppy) was a relatively sophisticated example of the breed being a 48cc four-stroke with a built-in two-speed gear box. The Cucciolo produced about one horse-power, but Ducati's ambitions were clear; it broke the 12-hour 50cc speed record in 1951, at 67.16km/h (41.73mph). Although the Cucciolo began life as a clip-on engine, by the time it was dropped in 1956, it had been transformed into the true moped."

bruce

gimmyjimmy /

geez, you had to spell it out for me...

I'm no expert on antique rides, but I enjoy studying them.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account