Moped News Stories

More moped news stories coming. Some of these stories are older, but I try to make sure I haven't posted them to the forum before.

I'm not sure what will come up, but I do have one story I just found-- A totally psycho guy who killed a moped rider (run over from behind) and was a hit and run.

He only got 1 year in jail--- Check out the story and the photo to follow this post.

I hope these stories don't offend anyone--I'm only referencing news sites, and I try to post a URL to the story for anyone who wants more information.

Yours,

Wayne

Psycho Hit and run (photo)

Honolulu:

STAR-BULLETIN / 2001

Tiuli Faatoia, as seen in court June 7, was sentenced

yesterday to five years' probation with one year in

jail for the death of Daniel Agcaoili last May.

Fatal hit-and-run

nets Kalihi man 1

year in prison

------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Debra Barayuga

dbarayuga@starbulletin.com

The driver convicted of killing a 33-year-old Kalihi man in a hit-and-run crash received a "slap on the wrist" with a one-year prison term, the victim's family said.

Circuit Judge Michael Town sentenced Tiuli Faatoia, 39, yesterday under a plea agreement to five years' probation, with one year in jail for causing the death of Daniel Agcaoili.

Faatoia had pleaded no contest earlier for failing to stop and render aid after rear-ending Agcaoili as he was driving a moped on Kamehameha IV Road during the early morning hours of May 24. Agcaoili died of his injuries four days later.

Faatoia addressed the Agcaoili family yesterday, calling their son's death an accident. He said he turned himself in after seeing Agcaoili's mother on TV after the crash, pleading for her son's killer to turn himself in and that he would be forgiven.

Deputy Public Defender Jerry Villanueva said Faatoia panicked and fled the scene because he was not supposed to be driving after being convicted for drunken driving in 1999. His conscience led him to confess to his wife and family members, and two days later, he turned himself in to police, Villanueva said.

Autopsy results showed Agcaoili was legally drunk and had barbiturates and methamphetamine in his system. And based on a witness' statements, Faatoia drove into Agcaoili's path after Agcaoili failed to use his turn signal, Villanueva said.

Lawrence Agcaoili, the victim's older brother, said it was a surprise to them to learn his brother was intoxicated at the time of the crash. However, his brother would have been alive today had the court given Faatoia a stiffer sentence for his DUI conviction in 1999, he said.

Faatoia was not charged with driving under the influence in Agcaoili's death. He had been convicted twice previously of drunken driving, the latest in 1999 -- for which his license was suspended for five years. He also had been convicted on two other occasions of driving without a license and without no-fault insurance.

Town said he shared the concerns of the Agcaoili family but was bound by the plea agreement. If for any reason Faatoia violates any of the conditions of his probation, including driving, Faatoia will be sent to prison for 10 years, the maximum penalty for failure to render aid, Town said.

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:

[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]

[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

[Feedback]

artg.jpg

Mopeder with shotgun

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_388452.html

Tourist shot in Dublin pub

Police are hunting for a gunman who shot a Spanish woman in the leg in a Dublin pub.

The woman, understood to be a tourist in her 40s, is in a stable condition in hospital after the apparently unprovoked attack.

Detectives say the attacker arrived on a moped and fired a shotgun into the pub.

The shooting happened at Sadler's Pub in Parkgate Street shortly after 9.30pm.

A police spokesman said: "He produced a double-barrelled sawn-off shotgun and fired into the pub. She appears to have been unfortunate in where she was standing."

The suspect, described as aged between 20 and 25 years, between 5ft 7in and 5ft 9in tall and wearing a black jacket, black jeans and a black motorcycle helmet, fled the scene in the direction of Conyngham Road.

The spokesman added: "The victim was initially treated at the scene and was then taken to the Mater Hospital where she is in a stable condition."

Story filed: 16:31 Sunday 2nd September 2001

Moped with improper load

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_134080.html

Dog-in-bike basket man cleared over dangerous load

A man accused of carrying a dangerous load on his moped by giving his Jack Russell terrier a ride has been cleared in court.

Police stopped 60-year-old Levi McCarthy, of Norgate Road, Norwich, in the city's Martineau Lane on July 20 because his Honda moped had a faulty exhaust.

McCarthy's two-year-old dog Flossy was riding with him, sitting in a wire basket on the front of the machine, and officers later charged him with carrying an insecure load.

McCarthy denied the charge when he appeared at Norwich Magistrates' Court, saying he did not consider a dog in a basket to be a danger to the public.

He told the court that motorists allow their dogs to look out of car windows, farmers carry their dogs on the back of trailers and that TV advertisements encourage people to take their dogs out in their bike baskets.

Acquitting McCarthy, district judge Patrick Heley said the prosecution had suggested that there was a likelihood of the dog getting out of the basket.

However, although this was higher than a possibility, it was lower than a certainty, and he was not convinced by the prosecution's case. He added that his decision did not set a precedent for other cases.

After the hearing, McCarthy said that he was going to ride away from the court with Flossy in her usual place in the wire basket and would celebrate by buying his pet a new coat.

Re: Psycho Hit and run (photo)

I'd a given him life imprisonment just for that ugly stare of his.Yuck!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account