coil

VespaCIAO /

I have a 1974 Vespa Piaggio CIAO that won't spark. My H.T. ignition coil is bad. Is there a way to rig it to where I don't need a coil. Can I get a coil at a auto parts store or is it a "moped" part? How much will one cost?

Thanks

VespaCIAO

Re: coil

i'm still new to vespa ... but the coil is an integral part of the moped. i can't imagine you could run w/o one. and i doubt very much that you could find one at any auto parts store. check w/ vespasupershop.com (call and talk to fabio) or some other moped parts store. or even see if you can find another engine dirt cheap and take the coil off of it. i have no idea on the cost ...

you can basicaly get a 12 volt coil and hook it up.

VespaCIAO /

where do i get that at?

If you go to an auto store (a good one, no autozone) you may be able to get a 6 volt coil.12 volt will not work. I sell parts for cars and have come across 6 volt before. Im not too sure how that one is set up but its quite possible to rig one up as long as you get the wiring right. Might be easier but probably not cheaper just to buy a new one. Hope it helps! Matt

The C.E.V. ignition system on the Vespa is used on other mopeds. Find an external type coil from a Puch or other brand that uses the C.E.V. system and try it.

How did you determine the HT oil is defective?

Jim

VespaCIAO /

Using a multimeter i tested to see if it had a continuous current going through which, I got a 0 reading on the meter. So the line or somethin must be damaged or the coil is broken up or somethin.

Ron Brown /

Vespa,

What vom range and what terminals were you measuring?

Ron

VespaCIAO /

well, now i think it is good...i think the condenser was the prob. i dont have my meter here but it was the green ones on the bottom left if you might have the same meter. I used 10x? of something...not sure...there were 3 and the first one came up but the second 2 didnt show anything. I am not sure if I have a spark now or not, im waiting to get a friend to hold the plug on the head.

Thanks

VespaCIAO

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account