Re: bicycles

they are making high effenciency engines that run on hydrogen, and make no exhaust except water vapor. That's cool

Re: Jim www.epa.gov

Jim, could you provide any links to the pages providing the specific information you present? I did a search for "Moped" on their engine, but have not seen the article you must be referring to.

This is your chance to link some data to support your claims. In essence, proving that you are, indeed, correct.

You may or may not be correct--- I'm not going to make that call until I see the data you say is on the EPA site.

Right or Wrong, I think you're a common troll, and I'm working on another post, where I shall taunt and mock you to the best of my ability.

I may have misinterperted your 'tone' but you seem to dislike mopeds.

I Like JD's attitude... "Hey....maybe my moped IS really bad--I still love it..."

Do you like mopeds? Do you enjoy riding yours? You used the past tense of "was" to explain mileage in your post. Does that mean you no longer own a moped? You don't even mention the brand of your moped.

As I said, this is a request for the official page with the information you quoted.

Looking forward to your links.

2 strokes ... villain or victim ?

heheheh... well Jim... I pretty much reserve the.. 'making fun of' .. the composition, when they do a simple single sentence with a major error in it.

I have an answer to your single sentence question...

... but... I'll let you and Wayne discuss whatever you've got to say.

Jim the Hawaiian Troll & Sierra Club

Jim

Are you on their payroll? Or just freelancing? You seem to accept their numbers at face value.

I don't trust many people, particularly those i don't know.

People can skew any number, any ratio, any comparison. You can selectively view one 'part' of a process while ignoring others.

We're living in a universe full of radiation, with a plutonium 'core' at the center of the earth acting as a breeder reactor (I was always curious why they found helium 3 in lava samples) and a sun that is also a huge fusion reactor, bombarding us with radiation.

Ever wonder why there are so many species on earth? radiation causes mutation. cancer too, but mutation is the cause of the cancer.

Could you encourage your friends at the Sierra club to do something about that too? Mars is getting warmer.....as well as the Earth. It's those damn mopeds spewing pure poison.

Your best suggestion for improving mileage was to drive it off a cliff?? That's just great--- If you had any idea what kind of moped you owned, you could at least claim it for the recyclable metal parts.

You live on a freaking island, and you own a car, and your talking crap about the environment.....? You ought to use public transportation.... Ever hear of walking? You can hug a tree every few feet.

Lets see.... I live on an island..... Hmmmm... I ought to get me a car, since everything is so far away.

You complain about the cost of oil...... maybe it's expensive, because you're in the MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN???

Jim's post, reduced to basic form:

"Hi, I'm Jim the Hawaiian troll, and I'm visiting the Moped Army as a representitive of the Sierra Club. Did you know your mopeds suck? I had one once and I didn't like it... I need a car to get around my little island...."

I'd like to test out your great ideas--- maybe put you in a box and run a rich mix with the choke on.... Or a moped off a cliff would be great.... but you'd need to be waiting at the bottom, to catch it and let us know how fast it was going.

Jim, try to get all your coconuts in one basket, tighten up the loose screws.

I hope, someday, I see you on that show "when animals attack". Perhaps a pit-bull mauling or a nice shark bite.

The earth is a dangerous place, and it always has been. Perhaps my posionous moped is all part of the natural balance. People are living longer-- that means the world is too safe. Something needs to make it more dangerous.

But I digress from the fact that you're a troll, and deserve to be insulted, taunted and mocked. One step above a spammer, in my opinion.

Re: Breeder reactor (correction)

I was going from memory-- the center of the earth is most likely a large lump of Uranium, not Plutonium. it should be about 5 miles across and would contain about 65% of Earths Uranium...

some of this uranium is from the original formation of the Earth, but a large amount of it arrives as 'cosmic dust' which eventually accumulates at the center of the earth over millions of years....actually 'sinking' to the center because of its density.

Sorry for the error-- I hate incorrect information.

Re: Jim the Hawaiian Troll & Sierra Club

Hi Wayne,

Didn

Re: Jim www.epa.gov

Sorry Wayne. You're right. There is no info on it. I last saw a report on it about 1 1/2 years ago. I know the report was done on lawnmowers with a reference to 2-stroke powered scooter/mopeds (they're essentially the same thing).

Here are a couple unofficial links that tout the EPA numbers that were previously available.

http://www.ired.com/news/lieberman/990711.htm

http://www.aqmd.gov/monthly/garden.html

BTW, I owned a Derbi Manhattan but have since got rid of it.

gimmyjimmy /

Wow!

Jim,

I'm glad you're enjoying your existence in your idyllic tropical paradise, with long days full of plentiful sunlight to power your electric toys. But before you get too carried away with your sacrifice and selflessness, let me ask if you've ever considered the energy drain required to support your little world. Transporting your "TV, refrig, microwave, and the computer/monitor," not to mention the mini-Cooper, all the way to Hawaii takes loads of energy and creates its own pollution. That's one of the reasons the cost of living is so high in Hawaii. The "every bit" of difference that you think you're making is totally overwhelmed by the transportation penalties.

Maybe the entire Moped Army should move to Hawaii, and we'll bring our friends and families, too. Then we can all ride around on sunlight-powered contraptions. And when your little private piece of paradise becomes crowded and noisy, maybe you'll recall how the "other half" lives.

You make some good points in your post, but I suggest you keep the self-righteous oh-I-just-do-what-I-can-to-save-the-Earth crap to yourself. You're placing a much heavier burden on the Earth's resources than you care to admit. Your "small car" may make you feel like you're saving fuel, but its on the backs of others who have to consume it to keep you where you are. Move to Gary, Indiana or Dearborn, Michigan or Akron, Ohio and then tell us how much you're saving the Earth.

JD,

I'm glad to get a little respect here. So I made a few good points. That's all I wanted to hear. Regarding your assumptions on transportation costs and resource depletion as a result of it, you are absolutely wrong. I could get real mean but I

Re: Quotes from Jim

Jim:

".....I bet I have an education 100 times better than yours and the smarts to prove it.....'

so, if Fred's IQ is a measly 50, your's is 500?

You're a jackass.

Jim:

"....my home is powered by pure photovoltaic power. If you don’t know what this is (which you most definitely don’t....'

Yep, you guessed it. I had no idea the strip on my calculator was "photovoltaic" I thought it was a magic generator. I talk about breeder reactors, and you "determine" I have no idea what "Photovoltaic" means. Yep, you're a real Sherlock Holmes.

Your superiority complex oozes through along with your smug, self-promoting concepts of what is or isn't environmentally sound. You came here quoting the EPA website.....then you backtrack.... "I guess it's not on the EPA site... but I may have read it there a few years ago.

1. I'm proud of you for being 100 times smarter than Fred.

2. Anyone who reads your posts will see that you're a self-absorbed nut who thinks living on an Island in the middle of the ocean is an environmentally sound decision. I wonder how much energy is wasted shipping supplies to the middle of the ocean? Where do you put your trash? Another island? A landfill? the ocean? Or do you just burn it up?

"Hi, I'm Jim.... I live on a small island and I have a small brain to match. I'm the "anti-moped" poster boy!"

3. You don't like mopeds.

4. I stated that my plan was to taunt you. A "troll" is someone who posts information only to get responses, usually of an inflammatory nature. I told you I was going to make fun of you. I'm glad I struck a chord with your super-sensitive "enviro-nerves"

I'm glad my taunting bothered you to the degree that you had to write a dissertation on what a moron you actually are.

So, Jim, you're impacting your tiny ecosystem far more than we are in the continental US. As long as you produce garbage and require ships to deliver basic goods to an isolated island, you should't be bragging about your "low impact lifestytle".

You're more of a "conspicious consumer" than an "environmentally conscious" person. Perhaps you realize humans are polluting the islands, and you're trying to absolve your personal guilt. I'd feel guilty too if I was living in a tiny, sensitive, unique Eco system that required constant shiping to maintain itself.

Sounds like a great place to build a house....!

Don't get me wrong-- I'm glad you're so far away. I think you're such an idiot, you could actually make dumber, if they read your posts.

Maybe we should flag your posts with a disclaimer:

"WARNING: Reading Jim's posts could have a negative impact on the readers IQ."

If stupidity was contagious the whole island would be infected. Perhaps it already is.

Did you by chance ever murder someone? The content of your post sure exemplifies this type of personality. I won't rebut anything you've posted because you are obviously getting hostile here and I don't want to be a part of it. I'll let you continue your reign of terror on this board without my input.

Oh by the way 50 multiplied by 100 is 5,000, idiot.

Oh, by the way you speak of breeder reactors and I'm supposed to assume you know what photovoltaics is? A little presumptuous aren't we, idiot.

Oh by the way, what part of my "dissertation made me sound like an idiot? You seem to be the only one with that stance. Does anyone else on the board have the balls to call you an idiot? If not I am happy to fill those shoes, idiot.

Oh, and Wayne, do yourself a favor and look at the "made in...." stamps on all the goodies you buy. If they're all made in the good ol USA, I'm the idiot. But if not, guess what?? You're the idiot.

And one last thing. I give you 100% credit for making me smarter today. Reading your posts make me feel like a champ! I'm headed for the Jeopardy trials as we speak. ALOHA!

>

> Jim:

> ".....I bet I have an education 100 times better than yours

> and the smarts to prove it.....'

>

>

>

> so, if Fred's IQ is a measly 50, your's is 500?

> You're a jackass.

>

> Jim:

> "....my home is powered by pure photovoltaic power. If you

> don’t know what this is (which you most definitely

> don’t....'

>

> Yep, you guessed it. I had no idea the strip on my calculator

> was "photovoltaic" I thought it was a magic generator. I talk

> about breeder reactors, and you "determine" I have no idea

> what "Photovoltaic" means. Yep, you're a real Sherlock Holmes.

>

> Your superiority complex oozes through along with your smug,

> self-promoting concepts of what is or isn't environmentally

> sound. You came here quoting the EPA website.....then you

> backtrack.... "I guess it's not on the EPA site... but I may

> have read it there a few years ago.

>

>

> 1. I'm proud of you for being 100 times smarter than Fred.

>

> 2. Anyone who reads your posts will see that you're a

> self-absorbed nut who thinks living on an Island in the

> middle of the ocean is an environmentally sound decision. I

> wonder how much energy is wasted shipping supplies to the

> middle of the ocean? Where do you put your trash? Another

> island? A landfill? the ocean? Or do you just burn it up?

>

> "Hi, I'm Jim.... I live on a small island and I have a small

> brain to match. I'm the "anti-moped" poster boy!"

>

> 3. You don't like mopeds.

>

>

> 4. I stated that my plan was to taunt you. A "troll" is

> someone who posts information only to get responses, usually

> of an inflammatory nature. I told you I was going to make fun

> of you. I'm glad I struck a chord with your super-sensitive

> "enviro-nerves"

>

> I'm glad my taunting bothered you to the degree that you had

> to write a dissertation on what a moron you actually are.

>

> So, Jim, you're impacting your tiny ecosystem far more than

> we are in the continental US. As long as you produce garbage

> and require ships to deliver basic goods to an isolated

> island, you should't be bragging about your "low impact

> lifestytle".

>

> You're more of a "conspicious consumer" than an

> "environmentally conscious" person. Perhaps you realize

> humans are polluting the islands, and you're trying to

> absolve your personal guilt. I'd feel guilty too if I was

> living in a tiny, sensitive, unique Eco system that required

> constant shiping to maintain itself.

>

> Sounds like a great place to build a house....!

>

> Don't get me wrong-- I'm glad you're so far away. I think

> you're such an idiot, you could actually make dumber, if they

> read your posts.

>

> Maybe we should flag your posts with a disclaimer:

>

> "WARNING: Reading Jim's posts could have a negative impact on

> the readers IQ."

>

> If stupidity was contagious the whole island would be

> infected. Perhaps it already is.

Ron Brown /

Hey Jim,

Is your attention span so short that afer this...

"I won't rebut anything you've posted because you are obviously getting hostile here and I don't want to be a part of it. I'll let you continue your reign of terror on this board without my input."

...you attempted to rebut everything Wayne said with lots snd lots of "input".

Btw, most of us, the great unwashed masses, refer to photovoltaic cells as solar cells (as opposed to panels, which may or may not produce electricity). We find ourselves unable to understand words with so many sylables.

Also, I could be wrong, but wasn't your "ped" one of these cheap, crappy Chinese scooters, therefore, not a moped at all by other than DMV standards.

I am really sorry that your mileage sucked. Most of us not only ride older '70s - '80s recycled peds, thus avoiding the resources needed to manufacture a new one, we get over 100 mpg consistently.

Ron

I'm an idiot compared to someone a hundred times smarter than Fred.

Sorry for the typo, omitting the zero is a sure sign I'm a moron. You originally were upset with Fred, when he mocked your poor sentence use. That's when you claimed the "100 times smarter" thing. Is that something most "smart" people say? I'm a hundred times smarter than you? I've had a lot of cool professors, but never did one brag that he was "A hundred times" smarter than anyone.

Sounds like a superiority complex.

While JD stopped short of calling you a moron, he did notice the smug, snotty, self rightious attitude you project.

I'm guessing that that type of attitude doesn't get too far here. Course, I've only been reading the forum daily for a few years.

You assume I don't know what a photocell is. You assume I'm a "murderous personality". Yep, you're the sharp tack in the package.

At the same time you say you won't "stoop to my level" You call me a "Murderous personality" and an "Idiot"

You want to avoid the name calling and negativity..... so you call me an idiot and suggest I'm a murderer.

Seems like you missed the post where I stated my primary intent was to "make fun of you" through taunting and mocking. It is still my opinion that you're a "troll" with minimal moped interest who posted only to stir up a bees nest for the fun of it.

I told you I was going to make fun of you--- I did so, and you let it bother you. That's funny. I guess you can't take a good taunting. Oh well. That's what "trolling" gets ya.

have fun destroying your ecosystem. And thanks for providing information that "may or may not" have been on the EPA website several years ago.

Happy Trolling!

Re: HEY DUCK !!

chuck russo va /

we got 12 people into a buick station wagon one time

Despite your sarcasm and expertise with a ruler, your simplistic transportation assumptions are incorrect.

The vast majority of the ships arriving in Hawaii are coming from the U.S. west coast. Go to the harbor and check. There generally isn't enough shipping volume in any one particular commodity to justify eastbound traffic stopping in Hawaii on the way to the U.S. Most everything you see on the shelves in your grocery store came from the U.S. And a large percentage of the stuff from Japan, Taiwan, China, et al, come to Hawaii via the U.S. west coast.

Most environazis I challenge rarely consider the true costs of their choices. The true benefit often is not to the environment, but to the egos of the players. All the folks who think they're doing GOOD by home recycling do not stop to think of the environmental costs of having an extra set of garbage trucks driving around town, the second being dedicated solely to collecting the recyclables. The boneheads who hounded McDonald's into replacing the old styrofoam clamshell containers with cardboard because the former do not biodegrade as quickly failed to consider that NEITHER material degrades quickly once buried in a landfill. And the paper-producing process is many times dirtier than the styrofoam process. But this doesn't matter to these people. It's perception first, reality a distant second.

Wayne may be a bit caustic in his remarks, but he's absolutely right about one thing: If you really want to help the environment, get the hell off Hawaii. Stop polluting a delicate tropical environment while simultaneously placing huge burdens on the world's transportation systems relative to the rest of us.

Your environmental sensitivity is noble in spirit, I suppose, but it's only feel-good environmentalism when you examine it more closely. If it makes you sleep better at night, good for you. But it doesn't give you sufficient credibility to preach.

Hi Ron,

Just some more sarcasm. I know I can go overboard sometimes. There was a joke hidden in the first paragraph.

Actually the Derbi is from Spain and it got horrible mileage. I've posted it before and I'll say it again - I have no problem with efficient older models. They have nostalgia and style. They are much more efficient then the rice racer types and they fit the demeanor of people I generally enjoy being around. it's those eccentric individuals that make the world a more interesting, sometimes better place (IMO of course).

You

2-strokes = really bad for environment

Those links say some REALLY bad things about lawnmower engines, and mopeds are pretty much the same things, right? I mean, we have bigger exhausts, but I don't know that that helps out any. There's no catalytic converter on my Puch, and I've never taken it to E-Check.

I don't care a whole lot, it still would seem more wasteful for me to drive a car that seats 4, or 6, or 7, than a one person moped.

My moped still is more fun than a car, and gets more miles to the gallon!

This is the longest thread that I have seen in a long time...Thanks for the entertainment. I get real bored at work! :)

oh-well. I enjoy my moped a lot, and I think that is what matters. I figure I make up for it anyway....no jetskis,snowmobiles,not even air conditioning!

8 PEOPLE IN VEHICLE (COPS)

Did anyone see the Cops episode, where they pulled over a car, and the camera was filming people getting out.

Not being Racist--- but they were ethnic people.... Latin, or South American, I think.

So, the camera is filming these people getting out of the car, one at a time, and before long there's like 12 people and 5 kids standing on the street....

Someone else here MUST have seen this episode. The cops seemed to think it was funny, except for the kids being endangered.

it wasn't a lincoln or a caddy.... some mid-size car....

Re: How do i make my moped go faster?

Back to reality....

JIM C.

Re: 8 PEOPLE IN VEHICLE (COPS)

lol.... Hey wayne and fred.. Ole Jim bo sure sounds funny with all the "oh's" he said.. I swear it sounded like he was was writing while being entertained by some french whore.

yeah.. I guess the chevy van and ford truck aren't cars..

hmm..... would you belive I did happen to see 5 people in a ford festiva today... NOW THATS EFFECIENCY BABY!

Jim.. you seem to type pretty well though. I wish I could type a little better.. you wont ever see me saying i've got smarts or im more learned then yous. All that is just silly. I'd like to visit your state though...

Hi Duck,

Sorry if I sounded like a pornstar but I meant oh, ('O') not ooooohhh.

Come and visit. I know a guy who is renting out those new electric mopeds for $15-20 for a couple hours. He's right outside of Waikiki.

It's nice here but boy does it get hot. Was 90 yesterday. Usually doesn't get this hot this early in the summer. Global warming? I don't want to start another pickle so I'll just say it's hot.

shit dude. what a speech

How about we're all Idiots and leave it at that. Wayne, you a nice guy, But ignoring someone usually makes them go away. Jim, I have no problem whatsoever with your views, but those opinions are not necessarily shared by others. Stop trying to change peoples views. Most prople are too stubborn to change.

You guys are all being assholes. Put a fucking sock in it

global warming. Yeah, one degree over 20 years. Not much, but that small amount can dramatically effect the climate systems of the world. Scientists are split on the effects that the change will take. Some of the worlds fastest and most powerfull computer systems have been working for years on the problem of global warming, and almost all studies come out with different results, ranging from apocalyptic to mild. In any case, the effects of global warming are not really being felt by anyone as of yet. I think, you jim like to create conflict by mentioning controversial ideas. It clogs up the board with insults and general shit. Please stop.

I thought this was what message boards were all about!

partially. But they are also about helping people less experienced than you. You posts made several good points, but I can't see them helping anybody. All they did was make tempers flare. Sure, inflammatory posts are entetaining, and may even be laugh-out-loud funny. They just don't help anybody. Everybody is entitled to their opinions, and we have th right to voice them. If somebody disagrees, their opinion is as valid as anyones. let's not get carried away. To much of a good thing ( discussion) may still be a bad thing. Jim, Jim Jim, and insulting our intelligence! shame on you! This board is filled with people who come here with the sole desire to help people. Sure, we get our share of idiots, but every town has the village idiot. Tolerate and ignore them, and eventually they go away, or become helpful themselves. No matter how smart, or well educated the people on this board are, it doesn't give you the right to insult their intelligence. I'm 16 years old, and I'm surprised how the people of this board can be so much older than me and still act like children.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account