SAE 20 Non-Detergent Oil for Italian Motors

See Ya Moped Army /

After years of searching, I have finally found Non-detergent SAE 20 motor oil at the Tractor Supply Company. They just opened up a new store near my house.

If you've got a Minarelli or Franco Morini motor on your ped, this is the correct oil for your motor.

MoPedLar

Re: SAE 20 Non-Detergent Oil for Italian Motors

where have you been larry? how are you doing?

dude i know for a fact that garelli's take SAE 30 non detergent oil not 20. might be different for different peds. I have been using SAE 30 HD (detergent) on my roomates garelli and everything has been totally fine. i think its a myth that you need non detergent.

See Ya Moped Army /

Harold, I didn't said it was used in Garelli motors. Re-read my original post.

Pat, I've been laying low, recuperating from Carpal tunnel surgery on my right wrist six weeks ago. My wrist still hurts pretty badly, so I still can't work on peds for a few more weeks.

Thanks for asking!

"i think its a myth that you need non detergent."

I don't think so.. the manual wouldnt say it unless you really need it. Just my little 2 cents. foaming action is less too with NON-detergent oils.

Couple things to keep in mind:

Non detergent oils allow contaminants to sink to the bottom of the case and form a sludge. Detergent oils hold the contaminants in suspension. If there is no oil filter (like in a ped gearcase) you're better off with non-detergent.

Also, if the bike was run for many years on non-detergent oil, switching to detergent can cause the sludge to come loose, plugging up oilways and so on. This can be a very serious problem on older motorcycle engines, but not quite as bad for peds.

don't know if its true or not, but i was told that detergent oil will ruin the rubber clutches in garelli engines after awhile.

yeah detergents and other additives can eat regular rubber and a lot of different glues (like the ones that hold chuck taylors together) if it says non-detergent, its probably for a reason, either the seals are non compatable or the clutch material is non compatable.

SAE 20 for my 1978 Malaguti Commuter II as well.....original sticker still on fuel tank

lar, said good bye to ma.. wowo news to me

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account