Tomo tires/tubes

I have a one year old targa that lately seems to have the flat tire syndrome. The moped has about 4m miles and yes it might be time for tires, yet being the cheap sonofagun that I am, well.

Is there a correlation between the lesser rubber on of course the rear tire and flats?

Is there a better inner tube than the one I can purchase at the locat moped shop?

What tire brand should I consider... original or some "motorclycle" that the local shop has offered me?

Thank you guys/gals for any and all info that you can provide me, I am looking forward to your feedback.

Armando

Re: Tomo tires/tubes

Reeperette /

>>Is there a correlation between the lesser rubber on of course the rear tire and flats?<<

Yep.

>>Is there a better inner tube than the one I can purchase at the locat moped shop?<<

Yep - go to Walmart and buy BELL Self-Sealing Tubes, and if you can buy them 1"-2" oversize...which would be 17" or 18" for the Tomos 16" wheels, that gives you a bit more rubber and makes them easier to install, cause you have to stretch the 16"s to get em to fit the Tomos rims.

They're technically bicycle tubes, but they're very tough, and can self-seal anything up to a major gash, and prolly mostly seal even that, I have nothing but praise for em, and I should know.

>>What tire brand should I consider... original or some "motorclycle" that the local shop has offered me?<<

The OEM Tires that come on a Targa, plainly...SUCK!

Doubly so if you live in michigan....those half-slicks are good only for fully-paved, smooth, even surfaces, which you just don't get around here...and they're suicide on snow, mud or grass.

Go buy yourself some Cheng Shin tires, accept no substitute, they're the real-deal.

Try to get the "A" Tread design if you can, but any Cheng Shin tire is pretty damn good.

Your performance in cornering and braking should also improve.

The tires will run you $18-$24 each dependin on where you get them, and the tubes are $6 a pop, so total damage is around $48-$60...which isn't that bad.

I also reccommend a pair of heavy tire spoons, bicycle ones techically might do, but I've had no luck with the, they tend to snap in half while changing Tomos tires.

Most cycle shops will have a pair, figure $10-$15 for a set of two.

Hope alla that helps,

-R

I have brand new Cheng Shins..$36.00 a set + $9.00 shipping

If that's shipping 2 tires for 9.00,you guys probably can't beat it.He's an Ohio boy you know.Do you have 17" ones,Ike?

yeah! ike rules...

and so do ohio boys. =]

ike, as soon as we get nice weather again (prolly spring) we are all gonna come up for a ride in georgetown!

it was a good meeting you...

casey

Don,

Yes i have 17" and the $9.00 shipping is for 2 tires...U.S ONLY!

I will make it over there for sure to see you,Ike!I'll try to stop in on my way to Florida later this week.If not,I might catch you when I return on the 10th or so.Thanks!

Don,

OK! Come on by anytime! If you come weekdays, I leave for work at 2:30 pm. I will be here anytime befor 2:30. I am here just about anytime on weekends. Hope to see you soon. If not befor you leave for Florida then when you return. Have a safe and Happy Holiday! Be careful down there in Florida! and don`t get "sun burnt!!!

I wish i was going with ya!!

Ike

Thanks,Ike! I'll try to get over there Fri.Or Sat....I e-mailed you just now.I may pick up 2 -17" tires also,besides the helmet and bubble shield.

Don,

I just remembered i will be off work Friday! You could come by anytime Friday or Saturday! Jus let me know an approximate time so i can make sure i am here!

Ike

Okay,Ike! I'll call first.I think I have your number at home.I won't know for sure about the time until probably Thurs.eve.

Don,

Ok, that will work!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account