questions about a 76 Free Spirit

Iain DeWitt /

this summer i bought a '76 Free Spirit. a lot of fun, runs fine, but a few problems.

(a) the throttle cable broke and i replaced it with what seemed to be the correct replacement Puch cable. it installed fine except the lead coming out of the handle end of the cable is too short to fit into the controller!? do i have the wrong cable or is it the wrong controller? (i suspect it is the controller, see below.)

(b) the controller was problematic since i got the bike. it will not clamp down on the handle bar. when tightened to its tightest it remains loose and movable. the situation seems to be very much like a metric/british incompatibility problem, i.e. the bar is one and the controller is the other. the controller looks like the ones i have seen on the web being sold for bikes like mine. anyone know if the bar is metric or standard? anyone know what kinds of controllers should be on there?

(c) also, is there a reserve gas line? the previous owner told me there was one. i have no evidence that there actually is one.

(d) finally, while i have your attention, i am looking for a repair/owner's manuel, replacement seat and rack. any leads would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance for any responses.

Re: questions about a 76 Free Spirit

XBrandon EdgeX /

Iain DeWitt wrote:

>

> this summer i bought a '76 Free Spirit. a lot of fun, runs

> fine, but a few problems.

>

> (a) the throttle cable broke and i replaced it with what

> seemed to be the correct replacement Puch cable. it installed

> fine except the lead coming out of the handle end of the

> cable is too short to fit into the controller!? do i have the

> wrong cable or is it the wrong controller? (i suspect it is

> the controller, see below.)

I've had replacement cables that just come up too short. There's one adjustment that might help. The little tube on the carb that the throttle cable goes into should have a turnable end. Turn that clockwise and it will thread into the carb like a screw, giving you more cable to work with. If that's already turned all the way in, you should probably find another cable.

>

> (b) the controller was problematic since i got the bike. it

> will not clamp down on the handle bar. when tightened to its

> tightest it remains loose and movable. the situation seems to

> be very much like a metric/british incompatibility problem,

> i.e. the bar is one and the controller is the other. the

> controller looks like the ones i have seen on the web being

> sold for bikes like mine. anyone know if the bar is metric

> or standard? anyone know what kinds of controllers should be

> on there?

My controller is also loose. I just kinda live with it. :)

>

> (c) also, is there a reserve gas line? the previous owner

> told me there was one. i have no evidence that there actually

> is one.

the reserve is a position on the fuel valve. on some it's straight up and some it's straight back.

>

> (d) finally, while i have your attention, i am looking for a

> repair/owner's manuel, replacement seat and rack. any leads

> would be greatly appreciated.

I see alot of repair manuals on ebay all the time. Also, try http://www.mopedwarehouse.com.

>

> thanks in advance for any responses.

if the cable is absolutely too short to fit in the controller, you have a problem. but you'll probably have to pull on the cable to get it in, then it'll snap into the correct position. keep in mind that new cables are very stiff and will eventually have to be learn a bit of play. a tight cable is better than a loose cable that does nothing.

if you mean the grip is loose, then you can probalby just tighten it down or even use some sort of gasket or shim. if you mean the little handle, there might be nothing you can do but live w/ it (or get a new throttle assembly). after all, the moped is a quarter century old ... things tend to get loose.

you can get a schematic on some parts online at www.mopedjunkyard.com. or you can buy a full manual. most moped repairs can be sort of universal, but to tear down your engine or something, you'll need a full serve manual. several moped shops have them for sale pretty cheap.

i have a free spirit as well and i had the same problem. i work at a shop though. but we could send you a cable to fit. if you want to bring it in it would be even eaisier for you. but we are in VA and i don't know where you are. anyway you could call any week day 11-6 (703) 241-1650 and just explain the problem. we can probably ship you one.

call mopeds mpg at (703) 573 9655 anytime 11-6 on weekdays. we can hook you up with a cable that you can custom fit.

how to mail someone ?

Hey Ivan !

Sorry to barge into this posting but,

I was trying to figure out how to email someone on here.... on another posting you had talked about making a Derbi Atlantis scooter going faster by taking the secondary airbox out... next year I might want to get something alittle faster then my 'ped...

I am also trying to figure out what part to measure on my Avanti Autopower carb to determine what " size " it is....not sure how to determine if it is a 12mm, 15mm, 17mm, etc ?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account