minarelli 45cc

I need a how to manual for this or a like engine. It's on a 1978 Picoli,Baretta,Minarelli bike. I could use any available info on tuning and maintaining this engine. Thanks for any maintanence help.

Paul

Re: minarelli 45cc

minarelli is a beautiful engine. congrats! i assume you have a v1 engine? or is it truly 45cc?

anyhow, post if you have any questions on it. a few people here know a bit or two about that engine. i've taken a few apart in my time. ;-)

just be sure you use sae20 non-detergent in the crankcase and change that every 6 months or so. that's the best advice. if you have the bike running and running well, then you probably don't need anything major right now.

The problem is that right now it isn't running well. I think the points may be adjusted wrong. I actually have two of the same moped except one is a step through and one a top tank. I believe they are the V1 engine. I need info or specs on spark plug gap, points, other possible problems and I think the cylinder is carboned up too. If anyone has a tear down manual they could make copies of or specs for adjusting the carburator points and plug it'd be a great help. THANKS!

Paul

Spark plug gap is o.k. at .024", and points at .014" to .017".On mine you can't adjust the carb,just the idle speed.Yeah,get that carbon cleaned out if it's plugging the exhaust port.Also make sure the muffler isn't carbonned up too.

what's the best or easiest way to get the carbon cleaned out? If I can get the engine running and keep it running is there a way to get it cleaned without taking everything apart?

taking apart the carb is not a problem. the dellorto is an easy carb to work on. take out it off the manifold, then take off the float bowl (the metal bowl on the bottom, only has two screws). you can also take out the throttle insert (from the top, also two screws). be careful since it has a spring. but it slides back in easy enough (not like a puch carb). spray the whold thing down w/ carb cleaner after you've taken out the little fuel jet (small brass where the float bowl covered. it just screws out. clean it good and all the way out. you can also take of the airfilter and airbox if you want, it can help. that's for a carb cleaning. if you have a dellorto 14.12, you probably want a 51 or a 52 jet. the number is stamped on them, just look and see.

to clean the muffler, take it off from the engine (two bolts, should be 10mm). the muffler is at least two parts. the long muffler itself (which may or may not be a two piece) and then a baffle inside. take out the baffle. the way we in kalamazoo clean our mufflers is to just light them on fire. pour some gasoline on it, light her up. all the junk inside gets pretty burned up and then you just pound it out. you could do it the right way w/ an acetane torch or something, but i like our method. easy. fast. cheap.

the points on a minarelli v1 should be set to 23 degrees before top dead center (btdc) or 0.079 btdc. contact breaker points are 0.014 to 0.018 in (0.35 to 0.40mm). that's straight from my engine manual.

best spark plugs to use for a minarelli is bosch platinum 4214 (i use nothing but). they will give you just enough of a better performance to be worth the extra one dollar they cost.

if it's the v1 engine, then it's either 47.6cc (20mph, 1hp) or 49.4cc (25 and 30 mph, 1.9hp). either way, compression ratio is 8 to 1.

once you set the timing, you should be ok. the odds of having to do any engine work is slim on a minarelli. and if you have to, they're easy enough to take apart. you can get a manual just about anywhere. i'd be willing to xerox you mine and send it to you if you'd like.

most problems are dirty carbs or mufflers. clean the muffler and the carb and you should be ok. good luck! minarelli made awesome engines. they are also very very easy to mod out for speed or other changes in performance.

If you do a search on exhaust or carbon I'm sure you'll come up with a lot of info.I would take the muffler off,and visually check the exhaust port on the cylinder.If it's got a glob of carbon lodged in the port,you can try to gently scrape the carbon loose so it drops out BUT don't touch the rings or score the piston.Try a plastic knife first and if it doesn't work,you'll have to CAREFULLY use the tip of a screwdriver.A dull one.OR you can take the head off the cylinder and do a lot better job.Just don't knock any chunks into the cylinder.The muffler ,if it's all steel with no rubber or plastic grommets or spacers,can be heated to orangish color on a barbecue grill or use a torch.It'll smoke like crazy as the carbon burns out and you'll need to re-paint it probably.Before you do this,just blow thru the muffler and if you can exhale easily,it's probably not necessary.Do look for a glob or restriction at the end of the muffler as the carbon sometimes just accumulates there.Do the search as I may have forgotten something here.

yep, you might as well take off the head. you can also take out the cylinder and piston if you want. check the cylinder for scoring or anything like that. check the rings. you may want to get new rings (why not? they're not that expensive and will make a difference).

do what don said on the exhaust port. also check for carbon build-up on the cylinder head. you can clean that off by gently scraping it off. try to get it so you can see all the metal. it'll improve performance.

play w/ the piston arm (w/ piston removed) to see if the bearings move easily. if it moves back/forth easily enough, you're good to go. after you've cleaned everything, put it all back together.

be sure when you put the head bolts in, you put them w/ an "X" shape. so do the top left first, then the bottom right, then top right, then bottom left. get them started and then take turns on them giving them like a half turn w/ the wrench until they're fairly snug. don't go too hard, or you'll strip the threads and wreck the engine block (i've done that! doh!!). if you want, don't use the socket wrench, just your hand on the exension. should be enough i think to get good compression.

w/ a clean muffler, clean carb, and clean cylinder/head ... you should run really well. if it's slow, then you either have an undersized piston or a small carburetor. you should at least have a dellorto 14.12 for 25mph or more. sometimes you get a moped w/ a dellorto 14.9 (which is really slow) ... so check before you freak out abut it being slow.

I already took off the exhaust and it was clean, just a little dirty watery stuff, free and clear though, and I cleaned the carburator thouroughly. It still was belching for air out of where the little black air cleaner would go (but can't be put on because it kills the engine) So I think I'm to where we can safely assume there is carbon build up in the cylinder head. Also think so because It doesn't like to start unless the plug is left ever so slightly unscrewed to allow air to flow out around it. Miguel if you have a manual that you could copy that would be great I'd pay you for your time and postage. Like you say everything is VERY simple just a bolt here or there and it seems like a good motor. Time to open it up and clean it out!

Paul

ps- address is

Paul Terry

4764 Aldrich Rd

Bellingham WA 98226

from your description, it sounds like it could easily just be carbon buildup on the cylinder head. that doesn't require taking the actual engine apart, just the top end (the cylinder and head). that's easy enough.

i'll get right on copying the manual. i'll let you know what it cost and such. do you have paypal? you can just send me the money once i get it all done and sent out. can't imagine it being too much. oh, do you want it spiral bound or anything? ;-)

Sounds good Miguel........some sort of binding might be nice if you can do that. Anything to keep it all together. I do have paypal, so just let me know. Thanks.

Paul

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account