help--can't find info

feminessi /

<HTML>I can't find any information on the internet about a moped I just bought (for $12!) called a Baretta. Does anyone know the manufacturer, or have an idea how I can get information, so I can fix it up and ride into the sunset?

Also, my friend bought a rather mossy Piaggio Vespa Ciao. Info on it would also be appreciated.

Thanks!</HTML>

RE: help--can't find info

<HTML>I don't know about Baretta's, but I do know about the Vespa, I have a ciao myself.

First of all, it's either a ciao or a piaggio, it can't be both because they're different Vespa models. The piaggio has rear shockbreakers, the ciao has no rear shockbreakers. The piaggio has a wider footboard and that's about it. Most of the parts of the ciao and piaggio are interchangable, that's probably why it read's both ciao and piaggio.

If it's a ciao (without rear shockbreakers) and you have a rearwheel with spokes you should replace it as soon as possible for a rearwheel with those plastic things (don't know what theire called in English) instead of spokes. My rearwheel had 5 bent spokes and 3 loose spokes all because the ciao hasn't got any rear shockbreakers.

There are two versions of the ciao and piaggio, the kind that goes about 20 Mph and the kind that goes about 30 - 35 Mph. The difference between the two are the carburettor, the slower has a 9mm, the faster has a 13mm, and the slower has a little ring inside the inletmanifold on the carter. That little ring makes the inletmanifold smaller and restricts the airflow into the engine. The last difference is the airfilterhousing, the three holes in the airfilterhousing of the slower kind are smaller. If you want to tune up the slow ped to go as fast as the faster ped you should drill out the holes in the airfilterhousing, replace the carburettor for a 13mm (costs $30 ) and remove the restrictor-ring in the inletmanifold. The ring will be hard to remove, if you use force to remove it then be sure that NO iron filings get into the engine, they'll grind away the crankshaft and destroy the cylinder. Recalibrate the carburettor if you change any of these three things, it's really easy, if the ped runs better with the choke on the carb needs a bigger jet, if the peds runs poor at full throttle (or even dies out) and the sparkplug is blackened and wet the carb needs a smaller jet, and clean the sparkplug. Turn the screw on the right side of the carb to set the idling speed, sit it as low as possible, but not that slow that the engine might stall.

I hope this is enough info for now, have fun with your ped!</HTML>

feminessi /

<HTML>Thanks, mate!</HTML>

<HTML>femmi

lets clear this up .....piaggio is the parent company of vespa

there are 3 types of vespa mopeds........caio......comes with shock or not

20mph, 25mph, 30mph versions

bravo.....has rear shocks

20/25/30 mph versions

grande....has rear shocks, last imported 1981

30mph versions,,,,the nicest

si........has monoshock, cast wheels

kinda rare, i havent seen one yet

and im a vespa moped freak!!!

don*t even start me on vespa scooters??</HTML>

<HTML>Vespa clearly markets it's mopeds differently in Europe. In Europe the piaggio is a model, not a brand name. What you think is the ciao with shockbreakers probably is the piaggio over here because there are no ciao's with shokbreakers here. There are many many more moped types by vespa besides the three you mentioned, like the gilera. They also released a new model recently, I don't know it's name yet, it looks a bit weird. The ciao and piaggio are by far the most popular Vespa mopeds, because the US moped market is very tight they probably limited their line to those models in the US. And ofcourse the speeds are different from European models because the laws concerning mopeds are different too. We have 2 different versions of the Vespa's. The slower one goes 30 - 35 Kph (about 20 Mph), you don't need to wear a helmet for the slower type and it should be limited to 30 Kph by law. The faster type goes 45 - 50 Kph (about 30 Mph), by law it should be limited to 45 Kph and you have to wear a helmet. The difference between the slower and faster versions are the carburettor (9 or 13 mm. flatslide), the ring inside the inletmanifold ( the faster hasn't got that) and the airfilterhousing (the slower has smaller inlet holes). Other differences in mopedlaws are that European mopeds don't have to have pedals, that's why mopeds with pedals are very rare over here, on 99% of the mopeds that once had them the pedals have been replaced with footpegs. I also haven't seen a new moped in a store with pedals for years, nobody uses the pedals anyway.</HTML>

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account