i took the pedal shaft and pulley off and now i ca

i have a motobecane 50 v (76) and after pulling the pedal off and then pulling off the pulley and then the pedal shaft. i now dont understand how the puley connects back to the pedal shaft because now its just rolling freely, perhaps im missing a part. i was told that a pin goes into the hole on the shaft but the pulley when slid on seems to cover up the hole. any advice?

Re: i took the pedal shaft and pulley off and now

Ron Brown /

David,

The pulley is retained by a circlip. The hole you are looking at is the grease hole for the roller bearing. The plastic "switch" on the face of the pulley will engage the pulley with the drive sprocket.

Ron

its fixed to the shaft just by the circle clip? wow i thought just that would be too weak. should i put grease in the hole?? thank you by the way for helping me so much.

Ron Brown /

David,

Yes, you should grease the bearing. Use a general purpose chassis grease. Don't put too much in there, it will just seep out on to the pulley.

and you're welcome.

Ron

are those circle clips hard to come by i cant seem to be able to find the right size.

dave

Ron Brown /

David,

Not that tough, a good hardware store should carr one that is close enough. They are not made of very hard metal and can be squeezed or expanded a little. If you still have the old one, try beating it flat with a hammer, then re-curving it.

Ron

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account