92 Tomos $$$ Value

Hello---

Need some price advice on a 92 tomos. A girl locally is selling it-- it's been outside for 2 years, and has had no gas cap, and has no headlight.

What is a fair asking price? she wants to sell it, I want to buy it. Shes wanting between 400-500 $$ and I'm thinking of offering between 300-400$$

I told her I was posting, so she may come by to see the responses.... was hoping you could give us some feedback--- Thanks in advance!

Thanks a lot!!

Re: 92 Tomos $$$ Value

If there is no gas cap,and it has been sitting outside, there is a good chance of rust in the tank. I would be leary. Does it run? How many miles are on it?

Doesn't run, like 5000 miles on it.

What kind of Tomos is it? Why doesn't it run?

It's a 1992 Bullet--- doesn't run, was running when it was parked, but punks stole the gas cap, I Guess... it supposedly was running well when it was parked, though

I haven't tried to start it, figured trying would muck up the carb worse...

Cold Hard Facts, if the gas tank was left open, and valve on... water has more than likly made it to the carb and cylinder trashing it.. Unless you like a good screwing only pay junk price and hope for the best. ($50-$75) Will they let you take it and check it out before committing an offer? Under these conditions they should, you couldn`t do much to hurt it. Also, sorry for being so blunt. Doug D PS> I just sold a 94 Tomos stepthru, like new, for $695

Arterious /

I have a 92 tomos bullet Top Tank, I got it free cause it wouldn't start and had been sitting in a garage for 5 years it needed a carb cleaning, and was dented/scratched up from missuse, needed the exhaust cleaned, new innertubes/tires and some other work. I'd say try and get it started, as long as nothing is rusted on it and it runs i'd say 400 or so. if its rusted out don't pay more then 100 for it. I rebuilt mine and with 9500 miles on it its worth 600 blue book, course everything is fixed now and theres 180 bucks worht of new parts in it =)

listen to Doug D. man, no gas cap, outside for 2 years=piece of crap I got a puch piece of crap for 20 bucks but I'll let you have it for 400 if you want it lololol

92 Tomos $$$ Value Estimate from Blue Book.

Reeperette /

Blue Book (Kelly) is $625 Assuming Factory Recondition.

Current condition, lessee....

New Carb $80.00 (fix or replace)

Headlight $45.00 (replace)

2 Tires = 2 x $19.00 = $38.00 (replace due to dry rot)

Tank Cleaning = Labor x 4hours ($24 x 4 = $96.00)

Additional Labor in order to recondition approx 4hours ($96.00)

That puts it at $270.00 (USD) Current Value.

I would in good conscience ask $250 for it.

-R

Re: 92 Tomos $$$ My offer

I just got an E-mail from the girl with the moped. She wanted to let me know that the bike has been covered up with a tarp the entire time.... that no direct water flow could have made it into the engine. Humidity/condensation maybe but nothing more than that.

It wasn't left out for two years either.... only outside during the nice weather....

She said it's in great shape...and strangely, I trust her judgement although I barely know her.

I think the worst of my trouble will be that headlight.... (Hey Ree... it can't be that tough to fix can it?)

I offered her 400, because I have the feeling it is a good bike....She's really firm on the selling price---

If it looks as good as she says it does, I think it will be worth it.... I really need a winter project.

Anyway, I offered her 400, and unless it's a wreck on two wheels, I'll take it as is. She paid almost 700 for it, so it was in good shape when she got it.

Re: 92 Tomos $$$ My offer

Hey Wayne, you are the only one you have to satisfy.... Good Luck with the bike, I have a few spare parts if needed, don`t cost a dime to ask! Doug D. PS> Did you check your bulb? I use a continuty tester on the, it only cost $1.99 at Autozone.

I woulda said no.

Reeperette /

>>Hey Ree... it can't be that tough to fix can it?<<

The whole damn headlight assembly is only like $50 to replace, so prolly not.

The wiring ain't that hard either, once you know how it goes.

No offense to any on this, dude, but I don't believe her, not any more than the redneck who told my ex the bike he just sold her "ran a lil while ago.." - ask Fred how likely that was.

The way people dissemble about such things (a practice made even more socially acceptable by E-Bay, whom I HATE..) I take no one at their word, especially if they're intent on selling me something.

And anyone asking 150% of more of the current value, I just walk away from.

$625 is for a full recondition, drive-away moped....to ask $400 for this is plain robbery.

The tires will be dry rotted, the carb is gonna be gunked up, and you know you have to pull it to clean it, which means dismounting the trans.....the trans fluid is gonna have to be changed, some of the fuel/oil line should be replaced, and no matter the weather, you will have a rust problem...which leads to much worse.

Oh yeah, and the exhaust will be plugged, and nearly impossible to remove, probably should be replaced as well.

For $400 you can get something that runs dude, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.

-R

Re: I woulda said no.

This is kind of long, but it is an unusual moped story... I was out riding this summer, it must have been june-july. A girl yelled something....I think she was like "Hey... I've also got a Tomos....."

So I pulled right over and talked with her-- actually I think I told her that she should get it running, and told her to come here for help, if she wanted to get it running...

I asked if she was going to sell it, and she was unsure if she wanted to sell it or get it running.... I made her promise to give me first shot at buying it, and got her E-mail... She had no idea what she would even ask for it, if she did want to sell it.

I could tell she wanted to get that thing running again--

So, I get in an accident, and my bike gets bashed apart, and I get an e-mail from her saying it's for sale. I tell her I'm broke-- (The truth) Here's what she wrote back:

Girl Selling moped Wrote:

"..................I bought it for $675.

You might get lucky.

Reeperette /

There's a coupla ways...but as long as it ain't seized yer prolly ok.

The big problem is gonna be doin a full recondition, but one thing does offset the high price (as it does on showroom floors as well) - if she's willing to do payments or whatever, then a total of $400 is a respectable asking price due to the risk anyone takes with such an offer.

Lemme see if I can at least give you a guideline here...

Pull the exhaust, and clean it - then the carb, and then flush and change the fluid in the transmission...tires can wait, tho not too long, and if you get damnall lucky on the gas tank (i.e. - little or no rust) drain and fill that, all of the lines can wait, save for the 7" piece from the petcock to the carb, you WILL wanna replace that with a piece that has a fuel filter spliced in already....and for testing purposes go cheap on it, standard autmotive windshield wiper tubing works just fine.

Sometimes, with Tomos...you get extremely lucky...what I would do, is take a can of gas, a new spark plug, and the small section of fuel line I mentioned with me, drain the tank, refill, change the plug and try to start that puppy.

If it starts, I'd buy it on the spot....Tomos is bizarre like this, sometimes they'll run when there is no logical reason they should, and sometimes they WONT run when there is no logical reason they shouldn't (like my Targa).

With all the bad luck you've had lately, Wayne...I think I might bet on some good luck...it's worth a try anyhow.

-R

Hi there. I am the woman who is selling her moped, hopefully to Wayne. I have been reading some of your responses to his query, and I have to say that there is some serious negativity being voiced. I'm especially distressed that it's being directed at me, though in the grand scheme of things, a stranger's misguided opinion of another stranger is the least of my worries.

I am so sorry that several of you have been burned in the past by unscrupulous people. However, the veiled (and sometimes overt) nastiness in your replies is sad. Though I don't take such attacks personally, I appreciate Wayne's defense of my honor--and I can assure him that I am one of the most honest people he will ever encounter. Though that concept may be hard for some of you cynics to believe, I am (to my own detriment) incapable of lying and am not in any way trying to mislead Wayne or steal his money.

My moped is, on the surface, a fine-looking piece of machinery. On the inside, you all probably know more than I do about the workings of the engine, etc.--I don't deny my ignorance in that matter. (I am, after all, just a chick.) However, I did not keep my bike exposed in the yard year-round and am now attempting to sell a piece of crap for far more than it's worth. I resent the implication. Just to put it in perspective, I would like to remind you all that it's a fekking MOPED, not a partisan scam to throw an election! No one's getting iced in the back room while I roll around on the bed in all my laundered cash.

I guess this little diatribe, therefore, is not as much a defense of my honest intentions to sell a moped, but a reaction to the unnecessary negativity displayed in this forum that seems to me to be a macrocosmic reflection of the state of the world lately. All I ask is that in your future interactions with folk of the people-ish sort, you realize that such instant mistrust and unabashed venom is not only painful to us good people with honest intentions, but also sad commentary on the priorities of individuals in this little human society of ours.

Thanks for your time--and Wayne, thank you again for trusting me. I believe you and I will come to an agreeable decision that will make us both happy. Even if no one else believes it's possible. --jess.

Misunderstanding.

Reeperette /

Jessica, I do think you misunderstand the situation here.

When someone asks for an exact value, and gives the situation as stands, it is no favor to them to be less than honest - yes, there are unscrupulous people in the world, in fact the majority, and this must be taken into account..especially on a "good faith" deal of this sort.

It's always been that way, even the romans knew it, hence the phrase Caveat Emptor (buyer beware).

That's not a comment on anyone's specific personality, just the nature of doing business these days.

However, Wayne, who does know you, chose to speak up for you, and that you should take as compliment, the opinion of folks who do know someone should be taken hands-down over those who do not.

(Might I add, it's not generally a good idea to trust folks you don't know in this day and age.)

>>However, the veiled (and sometimes overt) nastiness in your replies is sad.<<

It's not nastiness to not trust someone you do not know, or to state such facts as the blue book guidelines for purchase, although one can couch them in gentler terms, if one wishes.

>>On the inside, you all probably know more than I do about the workings of the engine, etc.--I don't deny my ignorance in that matter. (I am, after all, just a chick.)<<

Well, that's what Wayne was asking, was how much trouble it was likely going to be, and the original information he gave indicated a situation that was problematic at best.

The idea that a female is automatically not mechanically inclined is not only untrue, but a disservice to yourself and other women out there, for it is my experience that with interest and practice, anyone can become a decent mechanic, or at least competent enough to maintain their own equipment - do not sell yourself short, Miss.

>>However, I did not keep my bike exposed in the yard year-round and am now attempting to sell a piece of crap for far more than it's worth. I resent the implication.<<

The mere fact that you both resent it, and felt the need to state the fact on the forum (I know I would have) speaks well of your character, but I did state that no offense to anyone was meant in the original post...the only folks that it should be offensive to are those who do conduct business that way, which you are obviously not.

>>Just to put it in perspective, I would like to remind you all that it's a fekking MOPED, not a partisan scam to throw an election! No one's getting iced in the back room while I roll around on the bed in all my laundered cash.<<

Easy there...$400 is a lot of money to some folks, and it stands to reason that some folks would be adverse to a risky investment of it.

>>I guess this little diatribe, therefore, is not as much a defense of my honest intentions to sell a moped, but a reaction to the unnecessary negativity displayed in this forum that seems to me to be a macrocosmic reflection of the state of the world lately.<<

In a way it is, the state of the world isn't very nice these days, and trust is more oft repaid with misery than kindness, but as I said, the fact that you stood forward to speak against it speaks volumes of your character.

>>All I ask is that in your future interactions with folk of the people-ish sort, you realize that such instant mistrust and unabashed venom is not only painful to us good people with honest intentions, but also sad commentary on the priorities of individuals in this little human society of ours.<<

Point taken, although my intent was not to be hurtful to anyone, I can and will apologise for it, and I am sorry if you took it badly, it was not intended as personal commentary, but only in the context of sale/purchase.

>>Thanks for your time--and Wayne, thank you again for trusting me. I believe you and I will come to an agreeable decision that will make us both happy. Even if no one else believes it's possible.<<

Thank you as well for stating your own viewpoint, the time and care put into a succinct argument is both appreciated and respected.

I think the misunderstanding comes from the limited information Wayne gave us to work with originally...a sight-unseen sale of a moped quite possibly exposed to the elements for an extended period of time, from an unknown seller would make most folks leery - it was only after the original commentary that he outlined the situation more clearly, which, if that had been done in the first place, probably would have had a significant impact on the response.

I do hope you and Wayne come to a mutual satisfaction agreement, both for your own sakes and because such things are rare enough these days in our society to be treasured.

-R

Re: Misunderstanding.

I also apologized to Jess in case my use of "Girl" and "Chick" was sexist. I certainly didn't mean to be.

Women who ride mopeds are the best--- The "Mo-Babes" are the best part of the Moped Army--!

I also hope my brief initial post wasn't misleading... I did think it had been stored outside the whole time, which was actually my fault, for reading the details of her E-mail too quickly--

Anyway, Ree, thanks for the response-- I'm sure Jessica will come back to see what we have to say.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account