No Spark for Puch Magnum...Help!!!

I actually have two questions...one about spark, the other about the fuel injection system...

I've got a 1979 Puch Magnum (2-speed engine with oil injection)

(1) i've been trying to get spark from it for the past few days, but it's just not happening...I had to rewire it because some of the cables were cut when i got it...I followed the wiring diagram that i have and i'm 99.7% positive that it is correct...i tried changing the coil that mounts to the side of the ped to one that i know works, and i've set the point gap...why can't i get spark???

(2) How does the oil injector work??? i've had oil in it for a while, but i just recently emptied it because it leaks in through the engine and into the muffler and then drips out from there...is there a way to shut it off so that it doesn't leak into there or is it supposed to shut off automatically when you turn off the ped??? i noticed when i pulled the spark plug out that it was also covered in oil...i replaced it with a new one when i tried for spark...

thanks, ryan

Re: No Spark for Puch Magnum...Help!!!

Ron Brown /

Ryan,

Here is a set of generic instructions to check out your ignition system.

Ron

If you have a vom, check the ignition components as follows:

Disconect the wires from the points. One of these wires goes to the magneto ignition power coil. You should read a low resistance to ground on this wire, 1-2 ohms.

Another wire goes to the condensor, read this to ground on RXMAX, that is your highest resistance range, the needle should kick, then settle down to infinity. Reverse the vom leads, same thing should happen.

Another wire goes to the ignition coil primary, this connection is also connected to the kill switch. Disconnect the kill switch wire only from the ignition coil, the wire to the coil should read 1-2 ohms to ground.

From the wire to the kill switch, to ground, you should read infinity with the switch in "run" and 0 ohms with the switch in "stop".

Connect the vom from ground to the wire terminal on the points and make sure they are 0 ohms when closed and infinity when open. This seems dumb, but sometimes points that look clean do not connect.

Re-attach all of the wires to the points. Disconnect the wire from the points at the ignition coil. Measure this with the vom, it should read near 0 ohms. If your meter is sensitive enough, you should see a slight deflection of the pointer as the points open and close.

With the vom still attached and set to about 12v DC range, spin the motor by hand. You should see some deflection of the meter needle.

Pull your plug (spark, that is) and make sure the piston is at or very near the top of it's stroke when the points open.

Re-connect the coil wire. Measure from the plug cap to ground, you should read 5-15k ohms. If this is infinity, unscrew the plug cap from the wire and read through it. This should be 5-15k ohms, if it is open, replace it, if greater than 15k ohms, it may still work, but replace it with a paper clip for test starting then re-install it after you get the ped running.

Read from the end of the plug wire to ground through the coil, you should see 1-5k ohms. If this is infinity, the coil is bad.

Lastly, using the ohmsX1 scale, verify that all of the grounds really are.

None of these tests are guaranteed to indicate a problem, especially where you read coil resistances and they seem ok. Substitution is the best test here.

To test the coil, connect a spark plug from the plug wire to coil ground, connect an ignition condensor (any will do for this test) between the points terminal and coil ground. Connect the negative of a 6V battery to coil ground and touch the points terminal momentarily with the positive lead. This should give you a spark at the plug.

XBrandon EdgeX /

Puchs have a little "quirk" in their wiring, the horn needs to be hooked up to complete the ignition circuit. There should be two blue wires /w stripes (black or green stripes, i don't remember which) and they need to be connected to each other. They don't need to be plugged into the horn, but if the two wires aren't connected to each other, the bike won't run. I've fixed two of my puchs this way so far. One of them, the guy selling it to me thought the coil was bad :)

i don't have a vom and i also don't have a flywheel puller, so i can't get in to disconnect the wires from the points...i appreciate your info...is there a way

to get the flywheel off without a flywheel puller??? i know i can borrow a vom, but i don't know where to get a flywheel puller...

thanks...ryan

the two wires are connected to a wire end that slips onto the horn...still can't get spark...????????

Horn wires?

Ron Brown /

Ryan,

Do you see how the thread gets stupid when you email responses instead of posting? : )

How goes it with the vom?

Brandon, do you know where the other ends of these 2 wires go? I'm curious.

Ron

Re: Horn wires?

XBrandon EdgeX /

One blue wire goes to the horn button, one goes to the stator. then there's brown wires as well that connect to each other as well and plug into the other plug on the horn.

Ron Brown /

Brandon,

Thanks for the reply. I'm still a little confused. If the ignition was not involved, I would assume that the blue wires are connected to the horn power coil in the magneto, the brown wires are ground and the horn button is a normally closed switch. When you press the horn button, you un-ground the power and the horn blows. If I am right and the blue wires affect the ignition, then pressing the horn button would kill the engine if they were not connected to the horn. Does this happen?

Ron

XBrandon EdgeX /

Yeah, I remember one of the guys in janus had that problem where the horn button just killed the engine.

Ron Brown /

Brandon,

The plot thickens! Has anyone ever posted a schematic?

Ron

XBrandon EdgeX /

There's a crude wiring diagram at http://www.puch.net/puch/trouble but it's mostly for telling which wire goes into the little wire connector block on the side of the frame.

When I first got my Magnum it did the same thing. Hit the horn and it would kill the bike. I can't remember how I fixed though. This may sound like a stupid question, but is Ryan SURE he has a good plug?

the plug that i am using came out of a ped that was running just before i took the plug out...i had to rewire everything though... i think that i rewired it wrong, but i've changed the wires around quite a few times, and it still won't give spark...i'm not holding the horn button down, so that can't be it, and i unplugged the two wires that were connected together into the horn, so i think i know that those are good...would there be no spark if the on/off switch was busted???

i am going to try taking both switches off the other ped that i took the plug from and see if it works that way...i know that all of those wires are correctly connected and it is also a two speed, so it should work, shouldn't it??? the switches are from a puch maxi that i put a 2-speed engine on and rewired with some help...

i still haven't gotten that vom; i have to drive about an hour to pick it up; i'm going to get it tomorrow and try those steps....

thanks to everyone and if there is anything more that anyone can help me with, please do not hesitate to post...

i still don't know anything about the oil injection system...

thanks...ryan

XBrandon EdgeX /

If it helps, the two wires in the kill switch have to NOT BE making contact with each other in order for the bike to run, and not be making contact with the handlebars or anything

Yep! Horn kills my Sebring deader than 4 O'clock!It's STILL unhooked! I just took an 80 mi.ride and a 150+ mi. ride on it this week with NO HORN on account of this phenomenon.I just pulled the wires off my horn and insulated them with tape.I have about 7 or 8 extra horns for `peds so I should try another.But I think maybe my switch is shorted.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account