Decompression lever

What exactly does the decompression lever do on my sachs? Do I need to use it when I try to start it? I have never had a ped with a decompression lever, and I am not sure what it's for. Thanks.

Re: Decompression lever

Ron Brown /

Chris,

Look at my latest post under "Still Confused"

Ron

Crisis--Cincinnati /

Ron, I read your post. So my next question is: Do I need to use the decomp lever to start my ped? My freind has a sachs and his decomp isn't hooked up and it starts fine.

Ron Brown /

Chris,

Obviously not.

It simply makes it easier to engage the centrifugal clutch. I imagine the amount of compression and strength of your legs are important factors.

Ron

Crisis--Cincinnati /

Obviously! You just posted the answer that I was looking for, thanks. Are you trying to piss me off again? :) Just kidding Ron. Are you comming to the bbq? We just got voted in as the new cincinnati branch, and there will be at least 5 of us present. Swarm and Destroy!

Chris

Ron Brown /

Cool, are you riding up?

Dammit, that's what I was talking about. The sachs will run with the decompression lever unhooked, but you belch smoke and oil out the bottom of the cylender. The little hairpin thing that the cable goes thru pulls the valve shut. When you pull the lever, or the harpin thing is flapping around, it is open.

To start the sachs get pedaling (on the road or on the stand) pull the choke then pull the clutch lever. If you remembered to turn the thing on, It should chug and start up pretty quick. On the westlake, make sure both of your chains are on and tight.

You won't get top speed unless your decompression lever is set up right.

Crisis--Cincinnati /

Yeah Ron, we have a big conversion van, and a big ass trailor. We are comming up a day early, i think.

chris

Crisis--Cincinnati /

Let's hope it's setup right, since I am clueless about it. :)

brian away /

Chris, you have to cover the decompression lever in elbow grease, that's the important part

: )

Crisis--Cincinnati /

Mike, When you said, "To start the sachs get pedaling (on the road or on the stand) pull the choke then pull the clutch lever.", did you mean decomp instead of choke? I don't think that I have a choke lever.

Well, that's where it gets a little hairy to explain. The clutch and decompression lever are both activated by the lever on the left. (the black one on the bottom) The cable for the clutch goes thru the hairpin-looking spring. When you pull the lever the cable housing compresses and opens up the decompression valve, and the cable goes into the transmission side of the engine, where it presses on the clutch. You should hear the engine trying to engage when you pull the lever while peddling.

The choke is on the throttle side. It's a little thumb lever, and just use it like a regular choke.

If you need more help (like adjusting the clutch) e-mail me at:

Mr_mikebartell@yahoo.com

of course, other than that you have to go thru the infamous fred-list that we should all know by heart, and say like the pledge of allegence to the moped. (10mm wrench over your heart) ;)

hope it works

Mike

PS it is on, right?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account