wiring

VespaCIAO /

I have a question about wiring. I called vespa super shop and Fabio said that all Vespa Piaggio engines are enterchangeable, but he said the wiring would not be, meaning the wiring behind the flywheel. What is involved it transfering that from the old engine to the new engine? How hard will this be? How will I know if this is damaged? How can I test the wiring all over the ped? Thanks

VespaCIAO

Re: wiring

My first step would be to try to obtain a manual or guide for each model. I think that might be a good place to start.

I think Vespalad will have more substantial advice, but having the shop manuals handy couldn't hurt.

Fabio is describing the difference between the turn signal and non-turn signal models. The models without turn signals and battery have two coils behind the flywheel and the turn signal models have three. If you are attempting to switch a motor and the bikes had the same options, then it shouldn't be a big problem. What you'll have to do is use a wiring diagram to figure out what connections to make, as the colors won't match up. Can you provide more information? If so, I might be able to help. I have a Ciao, a Bravo and two Grandes, as well as many wiring diagrams.

Chris S

VespaCIAO /

I have a 1974 Vespa Piaggio CIAO and Im getting a motor from what appears to be a newer Vespa Piaggio. Im not sure if it has turn signals or not, I haven't got the engine yet. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

VespaCIAO

Re: Ciao vs. Grande

I have both a Ciao and a Grande that have turn indicators. The magnetos are different, as are the engine cases. It appears thay are not easily interchangeable.

The Grande has the condenser mounted outside the case, while the Ciao has it behind the flywheel. Also the wiring is different.

Jim

Jim, the Vespa grande is one of the nicest mopeds I've ever seen. Someone posted an ad for one a while ago.... I wish they were still made & Imported

B.J.'s still got that beauty up at Handy Bikes for 500.00 if anyone's interested in a sharp `ped,dead red.

Chris Stephens /

When you get the engine, let's talk.

Jim,

You are correct about the condensors. I also have a spare engine from a Grande with turn signals, and last night I pulled the flywheel for fun. The Grande engine has some minor internal differences from the Ciao (e.g. larger induction chamber) and uses a larger Carb (12.12 instead of 12.10) and jet. The cylinder head is different externally (larger, more fins). However, it will mount in a Ciao. I have done so. It makes the Ciao faster, since the Grande engine was designed to carry more weight. Also, when you buy a cylinder kit for a Ciao, it comes with a head that is identical to the Grande.

Chris S

Chris:

You have looked at your engines more closely than I have. I do know about the cylinder head difference, and the cylinder on my '74 Ciao is also slightly different. It has a cast-in boss on the "top" that is drilled and threaded to hold the screw that attaches the air defector.

The Grande uses a spring steel clip that a sheet metal screw goes into. You install it by attaching the clip to the deflector, then you smack it into the appropriate space between the cooling fins.

The Grande apparently IS designed to carry the extra weight.

Jim

wiring

VespaCIAO /

Will the Engine run without any wiring connected? If not what wires in the engine need to be connected?

All of them. You risk having the engine not run or damaging the electrical sytem otherwise.

Jim

I've successfully run this engine with a minimum of wires. On the Grande engine without turn signals, there are only two wires coming out of the engine. It runs by grounding the blue wire back to the engine crankcase and by attaching the black wire to the external HT coil. That is the minimum wiring required. Since there is a decompression lever, you don't need the kill switch circuit to kill the engine.

Chris

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account